[p2p-research] Thanks for: Suggestions wanted for education to p2p practices and attitude

Ryan Lanham rlanham1963 at gmail.com
Sat Nov 28 18:21:02 CET 2009

It seems to me that Android and iPhone are well past where netbooks are.
I've owned an Eee PC from the beginning...really a minimal platform for most
things.  The iPhone is light years past it as a learning tool in my opinion.

If you have to deal with an operating system or a mouse, it's old fashioned
to a kid.  Their world is Wii and iPhone and, soon, voice interaction.  I've
been recently told that schools are starting to back off from teaching
typing because they have been told keyboards will be all but non-existant in
10 years.  I've heard that before I admit, but apparently this time it is
true.

I've long envisioned a touch interface that gives you most common words
associated with a letter in semantic context.  That would be pretty neat
AI...but simple enough for an iPhone.

For example... I type F and the screen shows me "For" as a choice which I
touch...then I type "e" and it immediate grasps that I am going to type
"example" and that comes up as choice one...

Given all past writing, it would be easy to google-like prioritize semantic
flows of prose into most common words...much as URL completion software
works.

Ryan

On Sat, Nov 28, 2009 at 12:11 PM, M. Fioretti <mfioretti at nexaima.net> wrote:

> On Sat, Nov 28, 2009 11:37:26 AM -0500, Paul D. Fernhout wrote:
> > Michel Bauwens wrote:
> > >cell phones are great for daily life, but cannot replace computers for
> > >learning ...
> > Well, when it is all you have, a smartphone is better than nothing.
> > They are getting more and more impressive.
>
> I think one of the reason you and Michel disagree may be that you're
> thinking to different levels of learning. You may both be right, in
> different situations.
>
> For primary school stuff, a modern cellphone (cfr Wannigame) is
> enough, as is already more powerful than the TeacherMate and has the
> same advantage described in my article (feels more personal, can use
> it without sitting still...). From high school up, it's an entirely
> different thing.
>
> > >rather than cellphones, it's the netbook trend that OLPC itself
> > >spawned which creates other alternatives to it,
> >
> > People say this, even the OLPC project, but I don't believe it.
> > There were small light computers before the OLPC.
>
> Sure, but it's only AFTER the OLPC (and, I feel, *because* of it) that
> other makers took the idea seriously enough that people started to
> find piles of cheap EEes, Acer Aspire and similar stuff in every
> computer store. So I think Michel is right on this, OLPC does have
> this particular merit.
>
>     Marco
> --
> Your own civil rights and the quality of your life heavily depend on how
> software is used *around* you:            http://digifreedom.net/node/84

Ryan Lanham
rlanham1963 at gmail.com
Facebook: Ryan_Lanham