[p2p-research] The Non-Corporate Fortune 500

Ryan Lanham rlanham1963 at gmail.com
Sat Nov 28 14:05:03 CET 2009

We've (my family) have used USAA for years and love them.  Great firm.  I
think of it as a mutual or co-op.  Of course there are millions of
those...but I agree, in a broad definition of P2P, they fit.  Another
example is credit unions.  Still another are grain co-ops.

Lots dislike USAA because it excludes if you do not have a direct link to
the US military.

Most people also separate for-profit from P2P.  Europeans are squeamish
about capitalism and profit in particular and see them as implicitly evil in
at least 50% of cases.  Of course we see that as implicitly un-American for
which they think we are savage and primitive and we think they are lazy and
free-riding.  Canada and Australia inhabit the middle ground with European
sensitivities but systems that are closer to the US culturally.  Tough
judgmental world out there.

Ryan