[p2p-research] Again on mailing lists, was: Post-Depression first: Americans get more money from government than they give back | csmonitor.com

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Sat Nov 28 12:57:03 CET 2009

On Sat, Nov 28, 2009 at 01:48:22AM -0500, Samuel Rose wrote:

> This has been an interesting thread for me to read, as I have my inbox
> programmed to send all of Marco's emails straight to my trash file in

Here's a suggestion. Let us all filter each other's emails into
the void or a high-noise folder. After we no longer see each
other's messages, let's just disband the list. How's that for
a plan?

> gmail. So, I only see all of everyone else's replies to Marco. I set
> this up over a year ago. It's interesting that even though I have
> Marco's email filtered, that the amount of his protests about the
> nature of the activity on this email list still bleed through.

You know, I read Marco and you, but I've filtered the people who
think the form doesn't matter. I'm also annoyed that I'm still getting
their regurgitations by proxy.

> I have decided to "filter on the way out", instead of asking all of
> you to "filter on the way in".
>
> What this means is that instead of trying to make everyone do things
> the way that I think they should do them in the digital medium, I
> accept everything. Then, I ask my machine, or the machines that I am
> using by proxy to do the work of making the content usable and
> digestable by me. This places the burden on machines instead of on
> people, and it really works well. When I get tired of reading certain

That doesn't really work. The problem is Turing-complete.
The only way to make it work currently is to pay a person to do it for you.

> people's emails, I just tell gmail to stop putting them in front me!
> :-D
>
> David Weinberger was right: "filter on the way out, not on the way
> in". The power of filtering your own email is but one example.

Novel and interesting. Why don't you write a book about it.