[p2p-research] Again on mailing lists, was: Post-Depression first: Americans get more money from government than they give back | csmonitor.com

Samuel Rose samuel.rose at gmail.com
Sat Nov 28 07:48:22 CET 2009

Hey Michel

On Fri, Nov 27, 2009 at 8:31 PM, Michel Bauwens <michelsub2004 at gmail.com> wrote:
> ok, I see 2 problems, are there more?
>
> one, in responding, we can choose, either top responses, or inline; I don't
> see how a general rule can be imposed in this, as sometimes, inline is
> required for micro-arguments and responses
>
> the second problem, is that gmail hides previous postings, but that this may
> be a problem for other email systems, so this might require manually
> deleting each and every post?

there is actually a setting in gmail that will direct the editor to
use plain text instead of rich text, which will then expose into your
editor the entire reply, plus include the ">" for quoted content.

> Is that it?
>
> So one problem cannot be solved, one can be solved by systematic manual
> intervention?
>
> Michel

This has been an interesting thread for me to read, as I have my inbox
programmed to send all of Marco's emails straight to my trash file in
gmail. So, I only see all of everyone else's replies to Marco. I set
this up over a year ago. It's interesting that even though I have
Marco's email filtered, that the amount of his protests about the
nature of the activity on this email list still bleed through.

I have decided to "filter on the way out", instead of asking all of
you to "filter on the way in".

What this means is that instead of trying to make everyone do things
the way that I think they should do them in the digital medium, I
accept everything. Then, I ask my machine, or the machines that I am
using by proxy to do the work of making the content usable and
digestable by me. This places the burden on machines instead of on
people, and it really works well. When I get tired of reading certain
people's emails, I just tell gmail to stop putting them in front me!
:-D

David Weinberger was right: "filter on the way out, not on the way
in". The power of filtering your own email is but one example.

Sam Rose
Social Synergy
Tel:+1(517) 639-1552
Cel: +1-(517)-974-6451