[p2p-research] Post-Depression first: Americans get more money from government than they give back | csmonitor.com

Ryan Lanham rlanham1963 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 26 23:55:19 CET 2009

On Thu, Nov 26, 2009 at 5:34 PM, Michel Bauwens <michelsub2004 at gmail.com>wrote:

> >My own view is that Twitter would best replace this list.
>
> this puzzels me, I use twitter and like it, but how can it's tit for tat
> replace reasoned discussion that takes more than 140 characters . it would
> work for your pointers, but not for anything else ... and twitter is
> referential mostly, if there is nothing to point to, it quickly descends in
> babble ..

First, I think time to reason is over-rated.  People struggle to type and
they rarely get much better with work.  So, it's silly.  In my view...Just
say it.  Now, you and I who have both done that for years are willing to
play the fool and hope our reps carry us through various places where we
look the fool, don't have a problem.  One also learns to play certain
roles...

Others are more cautious about their reputation...as if each dish that comes
from their kitchen is delicately crafted and served on bone china.
Academics tend to be like that.  Every damn thing is precious.  So much is
lost to the world by their care.

More to the point...

But I'd guess people would type on a simple RSS mini-blog site like
Posterous and then point to these more in depth writings with Twitter...

Personally, if you have a mailer that can sort by phrase you can send things
to a file (as in gmail) and read or respond when you want.  This works OK
for me...but LISTSERV which I equate with this...has been around since
pre-usenet I think.  It's pretty primitive stuff.

Sometimes I think it is more or less like a typing version of ham radio with
easy access.  Might as well be broadcasting on some AM station with a
telegrapher key.

Ryan