[p2p-research] Better P2P communications ideas (was Re: Post-Depression first:...)

M. Fioretti mfioretti at nexaima.net
Thu Nov 26 18:36:52 CET 2009

On Thu, Nov 26, 2009 09:51:06 AM -0500, Paul D. Fernhout wrote:

> For example, sending a single file to a mailing list multiplies the
> cognitive processing effort of filtering and organizing this file
> times the number of recipients -- leading to more and more of
> peoples' time going into information filtering and information
> management activities.

Only if the one person who sent that file didn't spend 5 extra seconds
to format his/her text decently before sending it, thus saving
(2minutes * Number of list subscribers) to use it. Which is exactly
what the standard, very simple, already universally known netiquette
teaches one to do when the communication medium is / must be a mailing
list.

Semantic technologies will be great when we'll have found the way to
do them right, but this is a much, much, much simpler problem. It
would be pathetic to say "I can't use a mailing list because there is
no semantic technology that spares me from netiquette". I don't think
there is a general way to fix broken human behavior caused by
lazyness.  You can't find purely technological solutions to social
problems.

Marco