[p2p-research] the wikipedia decline

J. Andrew Rogers reality.miner at gmail.com
Thu Nov 26 07:53:35 CET 2009

On Wed, Nov 25, 2009 at 9:22 PM, Paul D. Fernhout
<pdfernhout at kurtz-fernhout.com> wrote:
> The deeper issues is also just the semantic web.
>
> I set up a Halo Semantic MediaWiki for OSCOMAK, but it just seemed really
> awkward. But, that might be a next logical step for Wikipedia too, and maybe
> some of the semantic stuff might help building these new tools for the
> community?

The semantic stuff is currently limited by theoretical computer
science, as in we lack algorithms required to make it scale beyond toy
datasets. Old, old issues. To date, this has been the real problem
with semantic technology -- it sucks if you want to do anything useful
with it.

On the upside, a lot of research dollars are being spent on semantic
web technology and significant progress is being made.  On the
downside, almost none of the theoretical computer science technology
that will make it possible is open source (or in many cases, even
published). As usual, life is a mixed bag.

--
J. Andrew Rogers
realityminer.blogspot.com