[p2p-research] Post-Depression first: Americans get more money from government than they give back | csmonitor.com

Paul D. Fernhout pdfernhout at kurtz-fernhout.com
Thu Nov 26 02:12:40 CET 2009

Samuel Rose wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 25, 2009 at 2:41 PM, Paul D. Fernhout
> <pdfernhout at kurtz-fernhout.com> wrote:
>> It may not be as simple as "prison unions", but clearly employment and
>> profits are a big part of the dynamics of creating laws about crime and
>> punishment in the USA.
>
> The discussion of prison guard unions is only part of the picture. The
> strongest prison expansion lobby is likely to be corporations that
> build and manage many of these prisons. Private run prisons are some
> of the most lucrative businesses in America. (at least, Corrections
> Corp of America, largest corp managing prisons, is ding really well
> http://thevalueatrisk.blogspot.com/2009/08/private-prisons-reliable-american.html
> )
>
> Prison guard unions may be lobbying for long terms, but the private
> corps are right there with 'em
>
> Found this too
>
> http://thephoenix.com/Boston/News/73092-Freedom-watch-Jailhouse-bloc/

I don't want to read those, but I guess I should force myself to. :-(

 From that first article:
http://thevalueatrisk.blogspot.com/2009/08/private-prisons-reliable-american.html
"""
There is one aspect of society however, that has continued to expand despite
the difficult economic circumstances: the prison population. Additionally,
and contrary to what many believe, the construction and management of jails
and prisons are not functions exclusive to the government. In fact, the
fourth largest correctional system in the nation is owned and operated by
the Corrections Corporation of America (CXW) - only the federal government
and two states operate prison systems containing more bed space than CCA. ...
Construction Corp. of America has clearly demonstrated solid revenue growth
over the past half-decade. The Company's earnings have been growing at a
more subdued pace since 2005, but capital expenditures have absolutely
exploded; growing from $73.9M in 2005, to $516M in 2008. CCA isn't pouring
nearly a third of it's annual revenue into new property/plant investments
without a reason. I'd expect that in the coming quarters, this amount of
investment will begin to yield tangible returns for the Company.
"""

 From that second article:
   http://thephoenix.com/Boston/News/73092-Freedom-watch-Jailhouse-bloc/
"""
Almost a half-century later, that mindset has extended to both the local and
federal law-and-order sectors, which have argued for, and experienced,
virtually unabated growth. Today, law-enforcement groups regularly lobby
against criminal-punishment reforms, and for the creation of new criminal
statutes and overly harsh prison sentences. While these efforts are cloaked
as calls for public safety, they are essentially creating more business for
themselves.
   The problem has become so widespread that some private correctional
corporations — companies that subcontract services, and even privately owned
jails and prisons, to all levels of government — have even lobbied the
government to enact and maintain ever broader criminal laws and higher
sentences. Those private prisons are now rolling in the profit, and taking
on more prisoners every day as federal and state prisons run out of room to
house their inmates.
   But these lobbyists' success — and that of various law-enforcement groups
— has given rise to a veritable "prison-industrial complex" that not only
uses fear to suppress these groups' true intentions — it leaves taxpayers
footing the bill.
"""

So, basically, if CCA is building more prisons, we can guess what is coming
in the USA to make them profitable. What do they know that the average
person does not? :-(

--Paul Fernhout
http://www.pdfernhout.net/