[p2p-research] the wikipedia decline

Paul D. Fernhout pdfernhout at kurtz-fernhout.com
Wed Nov 25 16:30:20 CET 2009

Some comments an the article on Wikipedia's "decline".

Eight years ago, there were fewer easy ways for people to post their own
content. Now, with facebook, blogs, personal wikis, twitter, more mailing
lists, and so on, Wikipedia faces a lot more competition for authors. There
may be much more total authoring across the web, but it may be going
elsewhere. So, the peer produced content idea is working even better than
ever, even if Wikipedia may no longer be getting an ever increasing share.
The article said Wikipedia has grown by 20% in the last year, but that is
way down from previous exponential growth. With essentially a static viewer
base, in the context of more alternatives and a mature Wikipedia that has
covered the basics, it make sense Wikipedia would lose authors. Also, I can
wonder if the exponential growth of people coming onto the internet has
stopped (given that something like half the global population now has
internet access)? So, that may be a factor as well, even though the amount
of time people devote to the internet as opposed to other things may still
be increasing somewhat. Anyway, I just want to underscore that even if
Wikipedia is doing worse, that does not mean the web is doing worse, since
Wikipedia may be suffering precisely because there are so many other successes.

Wikipedia tries to solve many problems with creating social rules about how
to have discussions and how to format entries. They probably are, for the
most part, excellent rules. But, they increase the cognitive burden of
contributing to Wikipedia. In an age of computer technology, one might think
those rules could somehow (as Clay Shirky talks about) be embedded more into
the system itself, but wikis are too free-form for that. The controversies
they mention which the social rules are meant to deal with, like reversion
wars, could be dealt with in other ways, like structured arguments, or
multiple points of view being supported, or maybe a social semantic desktop.

Also, to concede something to Google Knol (which I have been loathe to do,
because I want to support Wikipedia as a non-profit vs. a big corporation
selling advertising), the idea of a single article with a single neutral
point of view is a bottleneck for stigmergic collaboration and development.
Contrast the difficulty of making one coherent article with the ease of
making multiple articles on a topic from different coherent points of views
where the reader and author can choose between them with a list at the top
of "perspectives" (perhaps helped with a search engine). Within a framework
like that, somehow the community could also rates the quality of
perspectives, or creates filters you can choose from, or so on. Some of this
has been discussed on Wikipedia, but it goes against the original conception
as an authoritative reference source. So, some of these difficulties with
arguments call into question whether the idea of an "Encyclopedia", written
from a single authoritative point of view, is the best way for people to
organize information on the internet. As a user, I might prefer to see two
articles written from different points of views than the award single
"neutral" article that makes it hard to follow a series of connected
statements. Ideally, one might even have tools that let you look at multiple
articles from different perspectives at once, and see lines between related
points or differing assumptions. I'd love to help write that kind of software.

Wikipedia also implicitly supports the status quo with some of its policies,
even as it claims to be neutral, and even as the general notion of putting
information in the hands of people is radically subversive in a democratic
way. So, Wikipedia is conflicted on that core issue in some sense. As
pointed out in the book Disciplined Minds, all professional work (especially
academic work) is inherently political, for many reasons, but even if for
only that it is about a choice of where resources go in society (what areas
to study and improve, and what ones to ignore). Wikipedia has a policy that
articles should reflect published information by authorities in proportion
to amount of information out there by authorities.
   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Verifiability
   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Neutral_point_of_view
So, minority viewpoints should be mentioned, but only in relative proportion
to the majority, which often means not much at all. For example, in a
mythical wikipedia of the 1970s, in an article on, say, "oil markets", Amory
Lovin's accurate analysis and predictions about the oil market would have
gotten one sentence, whereas all the people who were wrong would have gotten
the rest of the page. This indirectly is empowering the status quo view of
the world. How are authorities (including their publications) created,
except via a formal indoctrination and filtering process, like Noam Chomsky
talks about in "What Makes the Mainstream Media Mainstream"?  Also, as
Howard Zinn says, "You can't be neutral on a moving train." A neutral point
of view can be an endorsement of the direction things are heading in that
sense.

So, there is an inherent conservative bias in Wikipedia by its appeals to
authority, which can be weighed against other features of what Wikipedia
itself that are explicitly democratic (the global spread of knowledge that
is stigmergically created). This core contradiction may be at the heart of
some of these issues. This is not to be unsympathetic to the policy of
citing authority or trying to be "neutral" -- just to point out a major
issue with it, and some articles, especially on controversial topics or in
areas of emerging knowledge, will have more problems in this area than others.

In general, the media effects society by what issues it chooses to focus
people's attention on and to what degree of emphasis (like, endless stories
about how wonderful some expensive expensive medical advances, and then one
article with a little footnote somewhere about, say, how sunlight and
vitamin D3 helps keep people healthy. :-) So, by what Wikipedia chooses to
emphasize, and what examples it uses, it becomes a political vehicle for
those already in power, even when it is trying to be "neutral".

But, clearly, our society does need people to try to make sense of things by
wading into the muck of opposing views built on different assumptions and
different values using different tools. To an extent, the Wikipedia
discussion page alongside each article serves some of this
neutrality-arbitrating function to hash out how to weigh different
viewpoints and opinions and connect together different arguments. One way to
upgrade Wikipedia might be to make at least the discussion page itself into
some sort of "structured argumentation system", perhaps with easy links from
the article or each specific change into the discussion related to it. That
might be a first step towards resolving some of these issues while making
Wikipedia work better as it is. This change might be resisted as it would
break the model that everything is done with Wiki markup, because the
discussion pages would then be done in some other way (perhaps based on
ideas like SRI's SEAS or ANGLER projects or other similar things).

Examples:

   "Structured Evidential Argumentation System"
   http://www.ai.sri.com/~seas/
"SEAS is a software tool developed for intelligence analysts that records
analytic reasoning and methods that supports collaborative analysis across
contemporary and historical situations and analysts and has broad
applicability beyond intelligence analysis"

   "What is Angler"
   http://www.ai.sri.com/~angler/
"Angler is a tool that helps intelligence/policy professionals explore,
understand, and overcome cognitive biases, and collaboratively expand their
joint cognitive vision through use of divergent & convergent thinking
techniques (such as brainstorming and clustering). "

In general, I've wanted to adapt those ideas to talking about simulation
models, but they could be used to talk about how to change wiki pages as well.

Maybe the deepest problem here is that Wikipedia claims to support "no
original research",
  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:No_original_research
but what is the emerging synthesis of an article in a controversial area
but, in some sense, collaboratively produced "original research" by a group
of peers? :-)

Could Wikipedia move to another model, where perhaps there is still a
"neutral point of view" article that is argued about in a structured way
(including whether to delete the article from a primary index somehow),
alongside articles written from specific coherent points of view which can
be source material for the main article or structured arguments about it?
And would that be better? I don't know for sure. But, it could be an area of
experimentation to at least be tried with the forks of Wikipedia. It
certainly would be fun to try it.

Just for a personal example, yesterday, out of nostalgia in the context of
the current student occupations of buildings, I went to look up an old
science fiction society at Princeton University that now seems not to be
around anymore. Google showed me there was a Wikipedia page on it, I went
there, because I've been wondering what happened to the group who brought
James P. Hogan to campus where I met him, and imagine my disappointment to
see the page had been deleted:
   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infinity,_Ltd
"""
This page has been deleted. The deletion and move log for the page are
provided below for reference.
     * 08:34, 15 January 2009 Redvers (talk | contribs) deleted "Infinity,
Ltd" ‎ (A7: No indication that the article may meet guidelines for inclusion)

"""

The science fiction society I belonged to at SUNY Stony Brook is still going
strong though, with lots of content on the web, and even a Wikipedia article
on it:
   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Science_Fiction_Forum

Just pointing out an inconsistency. I hope this does not get the other
article deleted too. :-(

Anyway, what does it mean that an article is "authoritative"? What does it
mean for a citation to be from an "expert"? What does in mean for an article
to be of "general interest"? What does it even mean for an article to be
"accurate"? What does it mean for an article to be "neutral" on a moving
train? In the end, these questions may show the limits of the "Encyclopedia"
idea in the context of a vibrant internet of peers and professional amateurs
representing many different viewpoints and many different approaches to the
"truth" more than they say anything about the limits of specific articles.
It's a big challenge to think about how to deal with that all.

Also, and even worse, many times writing the "truth" may create problems
(and in that sense, Wikipedia is probably a positive force sometimes). See
the book "Have Fun at Work" for many examples where inside a bureaucracy
management has no interest in the "truth" about some project. Or, just look
at the Dilbert comic strip.

Related comments on truth:
   http://www.wisdomquotes.com/cat_truth.html

One from there:
"""
Gloria Steinem: "The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off."
"""

Well, that explains a lot of Wikipedia revision wars. :-)

And contrast with:
"""
Hannah Arendt: "Truthfulness has never been counted among the political
virtues, and lies have always been regarded as justifiable tools in
political dealings."
"""

That explains some of Wikipedia's vandalism, as well as some of the problems
citing experts.

And as regards Wikidpedia deletionism;
"""
Henri Frederic Amiel: "Truth is not only violated by falsehood; it may be
equally outraged by silence."
"""

And many more quotes. Maybe each could be applied to Wikipedia issues somehow?

So, "truth" is a slippery topic, especially in the context of public media.

By the way, by leaving out a reference to Ward Cunningham who came up with
the Wiki idea, that original article makes it seem, by omission, like people
at Wikipedia invented the idea, as an example of the preceding point on
truth and presentation. Contrast with:
   http://www.gcn.com/Articles/2006/08/22/Wiki-The-etymology.aspx
"Cunningham: My first trip to Hawaii was actually my honeymoon. I stepped
off the airplane and I was told to go take the Wiki Wiki bus to Terminal C,
and I said 'What?' I just couldn't understand what the guy was saying and he
finally realized that I was expecting a Hawaiian term and 'wiki wiki' is a
Hawaiian term for 'very quickly.'"

Also, that linked gcn article above raises the argument against my proposal
for structured arguments: :-)
"""
Wiki allows people to fundamentally change the way they collaborate. Not
that Wiki actually assumes much at all about how people work, but all the
software that we've written before, we've made assumptions about how people
work that have actually inhibited the really creative work. ... A forum,
email list or a newsgroup always assumes that if I'm going to contribute to
the discussion that my contribution goes at the end. And that makes all the
conversation chronological. Why would we assume that chronological is the
right way to talk about some complicated concept? What that does is make
everything difficult to read. What I did with Wiki is not assume that. You
can [write something] right where it needs to be read. Of course when I do
that, I have to let go of my train of thought if I'm going to allow you to
modify it. There is a certain trust there, so I'm sure this is what
prevented people from doing that years ago. Because if I can trust you
enough to modify my thoughts'that you do it in the collective best
interes'then when everybody reads that work, they read a simpler document.
... The thing is the more we try to codify the way we work into computer
programs, the more likely we are to close off the discovery of the way we
truly need to work going forward.
"""

However, I'm more in the Manuel de Landa camp again here about having both
meshworks (chaos) and hierarchy (order). So, the discussion page might be
the place for structured hierarchical and chronological communications,
while the article page (or multiple perspective pages :-) could then be what
emerges from that in whatever form is best for communicating information
about a topic.

But ultimately, I see Wikipedia as a step along the path to a semantic web
and a semantic desktop.

And, an even deeper issues, regardless of technology, was put succinctly in
the original article:
"""
For the July event, Mr. Schulenburg got about 100 scientists and NIH
staffers to spend the day listening to arguments about why they should
bother contributing to Wikipedia, despite the fact that it doesn't pay,
won't help them get a grant or even win them applause from their peers.
His audience was skeptical about the lack of credentials among Wikipedia
editors. "One of my concerns is not knowing who the editor is," said Lakshmi
Grama, a communications official from the National Cancer Institute.
"""

As long as we have a society mainly built around those ideas (a lack of a
voluntary spirit and a focus on credentialism), we may be in for a lot
deeper trouble than Wikipedia having some issues of various sorts. If we can
fix those other societal issues, maybe Wikipedia can fix itself?

Still, as Doug Engelbart would say, the bigger issue is probably a
"co-evolution" of a community and the tools it uses. And maybe that is where
Wikipedia is falling down? But, the article suggests new tools are on the
way. But, it says nothing about structured arguments and so on -- just
making editing easier. We'll see.

--Paul Fernhout
http://www.pdfernhout.net/