[p2p-research] replab and replication

Kevin Carson free.market.anticapitalist at gmail.com
Tue Nov 24 18:42:52 CET 2009

On 11/24/09, Michel Bauwens <michelsub2004 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm looking for someone to explain the importance of the replab initiative
> to our audience? would you have some time?

I'd be glad to, but since I'm not an engineer or a hardware person my
explanation would probably be of limited value.

And IMO while self-replicability is a plus, all other things being
equal, it's not all that important in itself.  What's really important
is having all the prerequisites of replicating an entire Fab Lab in a
networked, resilient local economy so that there's no danger of having
the chain of production broken.  I agree with Franz Nahrada's
observations re OSE that resilience and replicability are best
achieved at the level of the community economy, rather than either the
individual tool or the individual shop.

--
Kevin Carson
Mutualist Blog:  Free Market Anti-Capitalism