[p2p-research] Fwd: Transition ? Spectacle to Festival

Michel Bauwens michelsub2004 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 24 13:17:25 CET 2009

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Dante-Gabryell Monson <dante.monson at gmail.com>
Date: Tue, Nov 24, 2009 at 3:22 AM
Subject: Transition ? Spectacle to Festival
To: Fernanda Ibarra <fernanda at thetransitioner.org>, Marilyn Mehlmann <
mmehlmann at gmail.com>, Michel Bauwens <michelsub2004 at gmail.com>,
Jean-François Noubel <jf at thetransitioner.org>

Excerpts from

http://cbae.nmsu.edu/~dboje/papers/Festivalism_at_Work.html

( http://p2pfoundation.net/Festivalism )

To the Jain businessperson, we are in the initial stages of transforming the
old Spectacle assumptions into the new Ahimsa assumptions of what makes for
an enlightened business organization. I think it takes daily meditation and
critical awareness of the violence of the production and consumption
spectacles, as well as the opportunities to make Ahimsa choices. The New
Testament says, "to be as harmless as doves and wise as serpents in our
actions." *Harman (1994: 48) argues "we are moving from a culture dominated
by materialistic values to one that recognizes the role of deep intuitive
wisdom in guiding our collective future." The Ahimsa business paradigm would
transform spectacles of production and consumption:*

   *
   1. Engage in business practices that are non-violent to other species.
   2. Limit economic growth to what is ecologically sustainable.
   3. Develop ecological awareness through reduce, recycle, and reuse
   practices.
   4. Cultivate personal Self-development through servant leadership,
   introspection time, and community service.*

*

Table One: Spectacle and Festival

*

*Spectacle*
**

*Festival*

   1. Work
   2. Work or play time
   3. Imposed patterns of behavior
   4. Dead time
   5. Religions of consumption
   6. Pseudo desires
   7. Pseudo needs
   8. Loss of Self
   9. Colonized spaces
   10. Spectator
   11. Functionary
   12. Survival of the Fittest/Richest

   1. Play
   2. Work and play
   3. Freely constructed behavior
   4. Live time
   5. Self
   6. Transparent desires
   7. Transparent needs
   8. Self-Management
   9. Free spaces
   10. Participant/Co-designer
   11. Self-Managed
   12. Coevolution and Co-survival

*

 Table Two: Assumptions of Spectacle and Ahimsa Business Practices.

*

*Spectacle Assumptions*
**

*Ahimsa-Festival Assumptions*

   - Progress defined as material accumulation
   - Material accumulation = happiness
   - Spectacles of production and consumption grow by resource use
   - Economic productivity
   - Material values
   - Work that is drudgery
   - Business that pollutes
   - Technology advances to sustain competitive progress
   - Survival of the fittest = richest
   - Consume for immediate gratification; live for today
   - Conspicuous consumption = good

   - Progress defined as spiritual accumulation
   - Self awareness = happiness
   - Planet has finite and dwindling resources to be preserved.
   - Eco-sustainable productivity
   - Spiritual values and awareness
   - Work that is ennobling/actualizing
   - Business is non-polluting
   - Technology used sparingly to sustain natural splendor
   - Survival of the cooperative
   - Consume in ways healthy for our offspring; live for their future
   - Frugal consumption = good

*

Spectacle, says Debord, is an opium, that allows us to sleep walk, as if
drugged, stumbling blindfolded through a devolving landscape of ecological
and human horror; while cocooned in artificiality and illusion; mind-numbed
by cyber media into passive stupefied spectators. This is why it is not easy
for people socialized in spectacles and consumption images of the good life
through consumption to step outside of its mechanisms of persuasion, and see
its impact on nature, social systems, and the manipulation of our own
desires. Our life is just too "saturated with spectacles" and we are too
pacified in their "permanent opium war" (Debord, 1967: #44).
*

--
Work: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dhurakij_Pundit_University - Research:
http://www.dpu.ac.th/dpuic/info/Research.html - Think thank: