[p2p-research] P2P Carbon trading - stage one

Samuel Rose samuel.rose at gmail.com
Thu Nov 19 16:11:00 CET 2009

On Wed, Nov 18, 2009 at 12:24 AM, J. Andrew Rogers
<reality.miner at gmail.com> wrote:
> One thing that makes me highly skeptical of most carbon offset sites is that
> there never seems to be a way for normal individuals that have substantial
> carbon sequestration capacity to sell offsets.  At the end of the day, it
> always seems to be about funneling money to anointed parties rather than
> creating a genuine market for carbon sequestration.

To be fair, it would not be that difficult to create a low cost algae
sequestering system for individual use. There's a business opportunity
right there (if the governments of the world allowed individuals to
sell this capacity).

However, I think carbon trading is the wrong approach altogether. If
it is clear that we should be emitting less Carbon Dioxide, then
larger businesses and governments should be looking at how to change
the systems that entities are using. It seems logical that this would
more rapidly decrease emissions than offsets, and trading. I suppose I
could be wrong about that. Carbon trading looks more and more like a
shell game to me...

Sam Rose
Social Synergy
Tel:+1(517) 639-1552