[p2p-research] P2P Carbon trading - stage one

Robin robokow at gmail.com
Thu Nov 19 16:48:09 CET 2009

On Wednesday 18 November 2009 15:30:59 Michel Bauwens wrote:
> Hi robin,
>
> if you have time, I would appreciate an overview for our blog, 'what to
> think of carbon trading',

I would love to, but it isn't easy generally to write "what to think of carbon
trading". There are many angles to it, and it really depends on the values and
priorities someone adheres to. Do you want to think within or outside the
system? Do you want to think of a way out of the system (transition) or a way
that neglects the current system completely ;)

First there is the already put in place de facto privatisation of the right to
pollute that already occured with the Kyoto Protocol, and the way the EU for
example implemented this. This de facto privatisation could, arguably, be
perceived as a legally approved new implementation of colonialism (but this
would also depend on further outcomes of the Climate Protocol processes and
how individual states would continue to implement carbon trading)

Then there is another angle to it. This is related to the way markets and
money currently function. I can imagine there would be other ways of dealing
with carbon trading on a P2P level, if the rules of the games would be set up
differently in relation to how it is delt with currently.

To that end, I think it would be useful for James Burke to reflect a bit more
about the poster he uploaded here:
http://blog.p2pfoundation.net/the-emergence-of-commons-trusts-as-policy-
framework/2009/11/16

He makes a distinction between "cap and trade" for "private sector" and
"carbon taxes" for "Public sector", which frankly follows the green/social
democratic neoliberal agenda. I would love to see an elaboration of that.

I might have time to write something in December. At the moment I am busy
organising a nomad conference first in Berlin and then New York that starts
tomorrow. I have a piece of writing for that, which I was hoping to send later
today.

Thanks.

Robin