[p2p-research] The one thing depleting faster than oil is the credibility of those measurin...

Stan Rhodes stanleyrhodes at gmail.com
Thu Nov 19 10:43:09 CET 2009

It's currently on my list, with small bites already in motion.

I'm talking to some farmers here--that produce the best product to be found
in the entire Portland Metro area--about me and a few others doing some
part-time documenting of the farmers' knowledge and practices (and problems,
of course), and building a regional pool of content from soil to table.
FLOS, of course, so that everyone may benefit, and as painless as possible
for the farmers.

The biggest problem for entrant farmers is land and after that, water.
Would-be farmers can't get land, and the banks won't provide a loan for a
farm.  We need some sort of equity-based agrifinance, with a sizable pool.
Maybe I should go to every food-crisis movie and Michael Pollan reading and
take pledges while people are incensed, but I don't think it would be
enough.

The complexities of agricultural economics dovetail with urban economics and
urban planning.  Portland is pursuing new policies, such as not extending
the urban growth boundary, and having "rural reserves" made from the best
farmland. Reduces the speculation concerns, and there's plenty of usable
commercial and industrial land inside the boundary.  Rural reserves are a
good step, but young and capable hands just don't have the capital to get
started on that land.

A city is the only place to pool the capital and provide the market for the
goods raised.  Ken Meter might not agree, but I'm pretty sure Ed Glaeser
would.  The West Coast has a powerful agriculture and food scene in Seattle,
Portland, and Bay Area.  I'm pretty sure Portland is the place to make an
epicenter, and it's not just because I like the place.  We need some sort of
FLOS-y-combinator that can create a giant capital pool from nodes of
capital, and the educational opportunities to draw and nuture human skill.

Those of us on the West Coast should consider some cross-mojo-nation on
these issues.  Meanwhile, I'll continue to take small bites.

-- Stan