[p2p-research] The one thing depleting faster than oil is the credibility of those measurin...

Ryan Lanham rlanham1963 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 18 21:25:05 CET 2009

I'd just throw in that grass-fed beef is probably much healthier in that
Omega 3 to Omega 6 fatty acid ratios are more attractive with grass and
alfalfa as forage.  Heart disease is almost unknown amongst the Massai who
eat whole milk and beef almost exclusively.  In fact, high fat diets are now
clearly known to correlate with reduced heart disease...satfat greatly
enhances HDL for instance...there are numerous studies that show that
peoples fed on high fat diets such as cream and cheese have lower CHD than
those who eat a lot of low fat grains and veggies.

As to lamb...in the Caribbean we eat a fair amount of goat.  I tend to
prefer goat...and it is a lot more sustainable.  For a very interesting
nonprofit initative in local food production...look up I want a goat . com.
http://www.iwantagoat.com/

It turns out that with proper sustainable practices, that meat protein
sources are fairly green.  As a diabetic, I don't have a lot of choices but
to eat a high fat high protein diet...so I need no selling on eliminating
wheat, corn, barely, oats and other grains from our systems.  A lot of
people are choosing raw or "paleo" diets these days for health reasons.
Almost all these are very low carb.  They are also against feeding animals
with conventional grains whether they be in salmon fish farms, chicken
ranches, corn-fed cattle, etc.

Another big advantage of SOLE (small organic local environmental) production
is it is healthier...not because of chemicals used in production so much as
the core sources of foods...whether from grain, etc..

On 11/18/09, J. Andrew Rogers <reality.miner at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 18, 2009 at 9:15 AM, Kevin Carson
> <free.market.anticapitalist at gmail.com> wrote:
> > That would work out fine, IMO.  I love lamb and resent the fact that
> > it's rarely found (and extremely expensive when it is) in most
> > supermarkets.  And I can barely tell the difference between mutton and
> > beef.
>

> Yeah, I like lamb too.  Fortunately, it is becoming more available in the
> US.
>

> > Re beef, we could achieve a considerable scaling back of dedicated
> > land just by going back to the pattern followed by our
> > great-great-grandparents:  restricting cattle to areas that are
> > natural pasture, supplemented with just enough corn feeding to get
> > them through the winter.
>

> In the western US, much of the cattle is raised on natural forage and
> wintered on alfalfa. Local feed is cheaper, and grasses grow well in
> the arid west. Something like 30-40% of the US cattle herd is already
> raised this way on what is marginally arable land, so the sustainable
> levels of production are not as low as some people imagine. Cattle are
> actually an important part of the ecosystem on the open range
> (replacing the niche formerly occupied by bison).
>
> How animals are raised for market is pretty dependent on local
> conditions and economics.  In places like the Great Plains region, it
> is most efficient to use feeder grains like corn and millet.  The
> quality of the native grasses (from a feed standpoint) varies
> significantly with region. One of the reasons the arid regions of the
> US are viable for cattle ranching is that the native grasses make
> excellent high-protein forage.
>

> --
> J. Andrew Rogers
> realityminer.blogspot.com