[p2p-research] is the mind a computer

Ryan Lanham rlanham1963 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 13 15:50:37 CET 2009

Hi Sam,

I am familiar with Brian Arthur's work at the Santa Fe Institute on
emergeance and complexity...it sounds like this is the same vein.  That does
help.  That whole area has been productive and very interesting.

It is emerging as a reductionist versus chaos theory sort of argument.  My
own explorations of this area were in relationship to economics...along
lines set by people like Brian Arthur.  I think I understand the basis of
your position now.

The information theorists being cited by Andrew are clearly reductionists,
so the outline of disagreement is now clearer to me.

Andrew dismisses pretty much all prior AI in favor of these current Super
machine theorists.  Would that such a clear break could occur...perhaps it
will.  I'm unconvinced so far, but their vein is also interesting.

It would be nice to be right-tracked by some set of thoughts.  I'm in favor
of truth...not ideas, so if truth is winning, I'm happy.  As a philosophical
pragmatist, truth, for me, is what seems most right at the moment given
reasonable vetting...so better vetting is always the aim.  Better is the
tricky word...that takes one down all sorts of philosophy of science worm
holes.  Perspective is one of them.  Clearly minds are chaotic in a Santa Fe
Institute sense of the term.  But clearly there components allow for
reductive analysis in an information theory/math sense of the term.  There
will end up being a lot of probability theory on both sides.  Algorithms are
like political theories...great to argue about...hard to move in real terms
toward progress.

The emergeance agenda I am familiar with has produced relatively few viable
tools.  As such, it seems to be most useful in setting challenges to
engineering approaches.  The Machine Super Intelligence crowd seems to be
interested in tools, but so far have only produced this thing Andrew
mentions can AIXI which is interesting but apparently useless so far.  The
work I am much more familiar with is in areas related to computer vision and
robotics research...vision is an area that combines a lot of both of these
topics...and it has progressed a great deal of late...3D printing in real
time from photos is an example of a tool that comes from this work.

Interestingly, the brain uses competing chaotic algorithms...(my source is
research cited by Derik Bownds recently.)  But it can also be reduced.

I have my own biases toward the reductionists.  But the cosmologists also
have interesting things to say...and interesting challenges to lay down.
Always a fascinating (and contentious) topic.

Ryan

--
Ryan Lanham
rlanham1963 at gmail.com