[p2p-research] Post-Colonialism and Commons Enclosure

Ryan Lanham rlanham1963 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 13 14:51:39 CET 2009

Living in a hotbed of post-colonialism, it seems to me that the usual issues
of identity and trust are key.  Elinor Ostrom certainly is a place to start
on trust.  On identity, I like Richard Jenkins work, but it isn't
specifically post-colonial.

You'd get a pretty fierce argument in post-colonial locations that scholars
grown up in colonial nations can say much about the post-colonial
situation...a bit like a person of one race writing on the the experience of
someone from another.  You can really want to be black, but if you are
white, it ain't going to happen...similar colonies.  The Old World will
always be that.  These are border/boundary issues--a big area of sociology.
I'd look to less prominent scholars outside the core of academia.  In the
peripheries you are much more likely to get legitimate opinions.

R.

On 11/13/09, Athina Karatzogianni <athina.k at gmail.com> wrote:

> Ha ha thats pretty correct Andy, although if there is a work on it already,
> needs to to be engaged with and critiqued or shredded to pieces. By the way
> I dont think the articles you are mentioning are doing that much better ho
> ho ho
>
>  On Fri, Nov 13, 2009 at 1:12 AM, Andy Robinson <ldxar1 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hmmm, I read one of Franklin's pieces in the Persram volume on
>> postcolonialism, and wasn't impressed.  There was nothing in there I
>> couldn't have figured out by spending an hour on a web forum or two -
>> basically the chapter tried to pass off quite mundane facts about internet
>> life (for instance, that people argue about whether it's justifiable to
>> swear in forums or use all caps, and that people discuss issues of cultural
>> identity online and disagree because of their different political positions)
>> as massively original and theoretically significant
>> postcolonial/poststructuralist insights.  Certainly not relevant to IP and
>> the "commons" - it's more Laclauian identity-construction type stuff.
>>
>> The intersection postcolonialism - commons - IP is a grouping I've not
>> seen explored.  Although a Google scholar search on the terms "intellectual
>> property commons postcolonial" reveals a list of possibilities, leading with
>> this:
>> http://www.jstor.org/pss/301953
>> adding search term "online" brings this:
>> https://www.up.ac.za/dspace/handle/2263/1466
>>
>> I'd also add that Vandana Shiva does a lot of work on biopiracy and
>> monoculture, and the "new enclosures" and the commons has inspired a string
>> of work by autonomist-inspired authors, notably in the collection "Midnight
>> Oil".
>>
>> bw
>> Andy

> Dr Athina Karatzogianni
> Lecturer in Media, Culture and Society
> The Dean's Representative (Chinese Partnerships)
> Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences
> The University of Hull
> United Kingdom
> HU6 7RX
> T: ++44 (0) 1482 46 5790
> F: ++44 (0) 1482 466107
>
> http://www2.hull.ac.uk/FASS/humanities/media,_culture_and_society/staff/karatzogianni,_dr_athina.aspx
>
> Check out Athina's work
> http://browse.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/results.asp?ath=A+Karatzogianni
>
> Check Virtual Communication Collaboration and Conflict (Virt3C) Conference
> Call
> http://virt3c.wordpress.com/

Ryan Lanham
rlanham1963 at gmail.com