[p2p-research] Oil running out far faster than predicted: report

Paul D. Fernhout pdfernhout at kurtz-fernhout.com
Fri Nov 13 03:19:27 CET 2009

Ryan wrote:
>  Sent to you by Ryan via Google Reader: Oil running out far faster than
> predicted: report via Environment news, comment and analysis from the
> Guardian | guardian.co.uk by Terry Macalister on 11/12/09
>
> • Swedish academics slate IEA's report as 'political document' for
> countries with vested interest in low prices
> • Oil production 'likely to be 75m barrels a day rather than 105m'
>
> A leading academic institute has urged European governments to review
> global oil supplies for themselves because of the "politicisation" of
> the International Energy Agency's figures.
>
> Uppsala University in Sweden today published a scathing assessment of
> the IEA's annual World Energy Outlook, saying some assumptions
> drastically underplayed the scale of future oil shortages.

Probably true, but on the other hand:
http://www.technologyreview.com/energy/23694/
"Natural Gas Changes the Energy Map; Vast amounts of the clean-burning
fossil fuel have been discovered in shale deposits, setting off a gas rush.
But how it will affect our energy use is still uncertain. "

I still predict twenty to thirty years to nearly 100% renewables by current
exponential growth rates. :-)

But we need to stop using oil as soon as possible because of the external
costs and systemic risks, even ignoring running out or climate change issues:
   http://www.energyandcapital.com/articles/oil-gas-crude/461

--Paul Fernhout
http://www.pdfernhout.net/