[p2p-research] is the mind a computer

J. Andrew Rogers reality.miner at gmail.com
Thu Nov 12 17:48:44 CET 2009

On Thu, Nov 12, 2009 at 5:42 AM, Ryan Lanham <rlanham1963 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I was just pointed to a dissertation by Shane Legg called Machine Super
> Intelligence.  It is a doctoral dissertation from the University of
> Lugano--I know neither the author, the school, the advisors or the
> content...but I am going to give it a skim.  Maybe some current leading
> sources emerge, etc.  If so, I will report to this list.  The first quote is
> from the God Delusion by Richard Dawkins, so those inclined against such
> views probably can surmise the author's bias.

Shane Legg is one of the top academics working in algorithmic
information theory, and is particularly well-known for his work on
formalizing intelligence. He is about as credible a source as exists;
his doctoral thesis post-dates a number of other influential papers,
and he has been working in the field for about a decade.

The two other academics most associated with this area of mathematics
are Jürgen Schmidhuber and Marcus Hutter.  All three of these guys are
widely cited in this domain.

--
J. Andrew Rogers
realityminer.blogspot.com