[p2p-research] Hermit Nation: Does Tech Boost Social Isolation?

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Thu Nov 12 10:58:37 CET 2009

On Sun, Nov 08, 2009 at 11:24:54PM +0000, Mamading Ceesay wrote:
> 2009/11/8 Ryan Lanham <rlanham1963 at gmail.com>:
> >
> > I am not a big tweeter but have been on it since the early days.  To have
> > watched the full force of it is astonishing.  Whole governments are now

Well, it will be history in less than 5 years. It arguably already is.

> > trying to figure out what to do with it.  Integration with cell phones makes
> > it profoundly powerful.

Cell phones come with full email and IM clients these days, and
increasingly they're all-purpose computers, with a rich application
depository.

> I've been wanting lists fo a long while, just to make my columns
> portable between apps like Tweetdeck and Seesmic Desktop.

How does it feel to be ephemeral? Are you doing it deliberately?

> I dallied with Twitter in 2007, but it's only been this year that I've
> gotten serious about it.  In terms of reach I've found it superior to
> IRC, but in terms of depth of engagement and conversation it still
> trails IRC.

What do you use IRC for?