[p2p-research] A thirty year future of the transition to widescale P2P economies

Paul D. Fernhout pdfernhout at kurtz-fernhout.com
Thu Nov 12 00:22:37 CET 2009

I think the OLPC project disproves that, with children easily taking up the
computers (and even their parents playing with them). As does the "Hole in
the Wall" project.
   http://www.hole-in-the-wall.com/
"For experts, like Nicholas Negroponte of MIT, Hole-in-the-Wall is a ‘Shared
Blackboard’ which children in underprivileged communities can collectively
own and access, to express themselves, to learn, to explore together, and at
some stage to even brainstorm and come up with exciting ideas. For
villagers, it is more like a village Well, where children assemble to draw
knowledge and, in the process, engage in meaningful conversation and
immersive learning activities that broaden their horizons. And finally for
children, it is an extension of their playground where they can play
together, teach each other new things, and more importantly, just be
themselves."

But, yes, I can agree that communities will adopt different technologies and
use even the same ones in different ways. Ideally, communities should be
able to design their own infrastructures. My hopes for that, someday:
http://www.kurtz-fernhout.com/oscomak/goals.htm
"The Oscomak project is an attempt to create a core of communities more in
control of their technological destiny and its social implications. No
single design for a community or technology will please everyone, or even
many people. Nor would a single design be likely to survive. So this project
endeavors to gather information and to develop tools and processes that all
fit together conceptually like Tinkertoys or Legos. The result will be a
library of possibilities that individuals in a community can use to achieve
any degree of self-sufficiency and self-replication within any size
community, from one person to a billion people. Within every community
people will interact with these possibilities by using them and extending
them to design a community economy and physical layout that suits their
needs and ideas."

Again, whatever individuals may feel about robotics, if the USA or China or
Europe or Japan, which are already industrialized (or industrializing in
China's case), then it does not matter if the rest of the world adopts them.
The effects on global markets of cheap robotic goods of high quality will
affect everyone globally. A nation that fully automates will have such a
competitive advantage in a market system that market dynamics will demand
it. And already we see automation more and more. For example, solar panels
are no longer laboriously assembled by hand, but they are printed. Even with
zero cost human labor, for many tasks like assembly, you would not want it
because the quality will be lower.

The same may be more and more true even in services. Who wants to risk being
exposed to diseases by sharing a human nurse and other staff in a hospital?
It would be safer to have one robot (perhaps teleoperated sometimes with
haptic force feedback) per hospital room, just from an infection control
perspective. Humans may never go completely out of the loop in the next
couple of decades, but all these technologies allow one human to do more and
more.

Example:
"Haptics For Teleoperated Surgical Robotic Systems (New Frontiers in Robotics)"
http://www.amazon.com/Haptics-Teleoperated-Surgical-Frontiers-Robotics/dp/9812813152
"An important obstacle in Minimally Invasive Surgery (MIS) is the
significant degradation of haptic feedback (sensation of touch) to the
surgeon about surgical instrument s interaction with tissue. This monograph
is concerned with devices and methods required for incorporating haptic
feedback in master-slave robotic MIS systems. In terms of devices, novel
mechanisms are designed including a surgical end-effector (slave) with full
force sensing capabilities and a surgeon-robot interface (master) with full
force feedback capabilities. Using the master-slave system, various haptic
teleoperation control schemes are compared in terms of stability and
performance, and passivity-based time delay compensation for haptic
teleoperation over a long distance is investigated. The monograph also
compares haptic feedback with visual feedback and with substitution for
haptic feedback by other sensory cues in terms of surgical task performance."

By the way, telepresence to share skills across the network may be another
future aspect of P2P. :-) So, if everyone had a home robot that could be
teleoperated with force feedback, your friend on the other side of the
planet could use it to repair your sink, and you could reciprocate by using
the system to hem their pants legs to the right length. :-)

--Paul Fernhout
http://www.pdfernhout.net/