[p2p-research] Slashdot | Massive Power Outages In Brazil Caused By Hackers

Paul D. Fernhout pdfernhout at kurtz-fernhout.com
Wed Nov 11 22:39:44 CET 2009

More on this:
   "Hardware: How Vulnerable Is *Our* Power Grid"
http://hardware.slashdot.org/story/09/11/11/1426256/How-Vulnerable-Is-Our-Power-Grid
   "Recently it was divulged that the Brazilian power infrastructure was
compromised by hackers. Then it was announced that it was apparently faulty
equipment. A downplay to the global public or an honest clarification?
Either way, it raises the question: how vulnerable are we, really? With
winter and all its icy glory hurtling towards those of us in the northern
hemisphere, how open are we to everything from terrorist threats to simple
'pay me or else' schemes?"

http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2009/11/brazil_blackout/
"SAO PAULO, Brazil — A massive 2007 electrical blackout in Brazil has been
newly blamed on computer hackers, but was actually the result of a utility
company’s negligent maintenance of high voltage insulators on two
transmission lines. That’s according to reports from government regulators
and others who investigated the incident for more than a year."

--Paul Fernhout
http://www.pdfernhout.net/