[p2p-research] A thirty year future of the transition to widescale P2P economies

Paul D. Fernhout pdfernhout at kurtz-fernhout.com
Wed Nov 11 00:01:45 CET 2009

OK, a first scenario. How about a few others with different assumptions?
   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Futurology
"""
Future Studies takes as one of its important attributes (epistemological
starting points) the on-going effort to analyze images of the future. This
effort includes collecting quantitative and qualitative data about the
possibility, probability, and desirability of change. The plurality of the
term "futures" in futurology denotes the rich variety of images of the
future (alternative futures), including the subset of preferable futures
(normative futures), that can be studied.
   Practitioners of the discipline previously concentrated on extrapolating
present technological, economic or social trends, or on attempting to
predict future trends, but more recently they have started to examine social
systems and uncertainties and to build scenarios, question the worldviews
behind such scenarios via the causal layered analysis method (and others)
create preferred visions of the future, and use backcasting to derive
alternative implementation strategies. Apart from extrapolation and
scenarios, many dozens of methods and techniques are used in futures
research (see below).
"""

I tend to think your conclusion is likely though, like I suggested here:
"[p2p-research] Peak Population crisis (was Re: Japan's Demographic Crisis)"

http://listcultures.org/pipermail/p2presearch_listcultures.org/2009-August/004174.html

Even when everything material is supplied, raising children will still be
something that takes a lot of time.

Still, one might assume that even if most people alive now will die out as a
culture and genes (because they won't have many children), the few families
who can adapt to a world of abundance and have several children might pass
that tendency on to offspring. Or, they might not. Everyone talks about "the
will to live" as something to celebrate, but "the will to have children" is
actively attacked these days. And even when it is not, this is a fairly
family-unfriendly industrial culture.

Here's an alternative scenario, just as one example, where the old inherit
the earth:

2010

The US begins to move rapidly toward social measures in copyright reform,
health care reform, and labor reform that essentially break the back of any
notion of a small government state, by criminalizing self-publishing, being
sick, or being jobless, producing low unemployment figures as the US prison
population swells towards ten million. In re-ascendence, the Republican
Party continues to advance primarily a police state agenda based on
borrowing money and giving it to wealthy people.  The United States enters a
long period of turning inward that will be copied in Europe but not in Asia.
  The era of international flows and trades is now past its peak.

2014

China declares that the new communist vision is growth of opportunity
through local joy and happiness, effectively mandating that the People
become consumers.  The US dollar, in long decline as a carrying currency,
starts to become a secondary currency to the new Pan-Asia unit. A period of
high inflation (50% annually) begins for the US dollar.

2017

Mandarin becomes the first language of the web.  Nearly all children
globally begin to study Chinese.  India and China greatly enhance their
economic links, especially as both have abandoned copyright and withdrawn
from ACTA and the Berne convention. The USA threatens war, but no one takes
it seriously, and people make jokes about how North Korea is now more
progressive and connected than the USA. Fifty thousand people are executed
in the USA for sharing out-of-print writings by Sinclair Lewis.
   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/It_Can%27t_Happen_Here
The internet in the USA is taken down temporarily "for maintenance and
upgrading".

2019

Ubiquitous cloud computing and device linkage makes security, communication,
income, banking and money all converge.  The average household uses more
compute cycles per second than the most powerful supercomputers in 2000.
Provision of electricty and cooling are the major economic components of any
household budget having surpassed transportation in 2016. Is the USA, only
media produced by large corporations and the state is allowed.
Hyperinflation begins to hit the US dollar, at a rate of 1000% per year.

2020

As the dollar reaches one trillion dollars per cup of coffee, the
destructive impacts of hyperinflation are now starting to cause massive
migrations and social turmoil. Armed robot sentries purchased from Samsung
patrol all US borders, killing thousands af would-be border crossers each
day. Other nations set 10 year targets to eliminate copyright from their
economies.

The United States, which as become an isolated power in its lost decade of
economic growth, begins to envision radical restructuring of local economies
to reduce free speech outputs and to protect aging populations who are
dominant politically and economically, but no longer personally productive.
  The old call for robotic support helpers along lines in use in Japan for
1/2 a decade. Unable to afford to maintain by then tens of million young
people in prison, the USA amends the constitution to allow summary execution
of anyone previously convicted of any crime if they have healthy organs that
can be transplanted to old people.

2022

Most global universities exist only on line.  Older institutions have been
turned into open communities and greenscapes with collective governance
strategies along lines of co-ops or townhall styled local governments. Large
purges take place at all US universities of academics guilty of thought
crimes like suggesting harvesting organs from copyright violators is
unconstitutional. Those academics who are now jobless are imprisoned and
have their organs harvested. Obesity penalities eliminate demands for poor
food choices in most of the world; there is widespread support for this to
ensure young people have healthy organs.

2025

Nearly all projects are capitalized against a social account that builds
facilities determined by complex AI-assisted long-range eco-survival plans.
Generally, those plans involve converting half the population into Soylent
Green. Most food and pharmaceutical production occurs within 10 miles of the
consumer's living space.  Earth's population peaks at 8 and 3/4 billion.

Most fish are extinct that are not in enclosed sea farms. With the USA in
crisis and cities in flames, many species become a slow comeback.

2027

Anti-work parties become commonplace along European models started in
universities in the 20-teens.  The agendas generally call half-jokingly for
"bread and circuses"   Most envision a handover to robots within 20 years
for all important managerial and process functions. The USA runs out of tear
gas; Greece supplies some it had stockpiled but is no longer using since it
became mostly self-sufficient through participation in a related
international consortium.
http://groups.google.com/group/openmanufacturing/browse_thread/thread/6336f30458de0648/e009aac004f3ad9d

2030

The computer processing power of integrated software clouds exceeds human
brains by several orders of magnitude.  Nearly all software is designed and
written by robots.  All medicine is done by robots.  The average age of
persons in the Europe climbs to 50. In the USA, with most young people dead
and their organs harvested, the average age is 70. Millions are now living
to 110.

2032

Nearly all economic activity occurs within 10 miles of one's home.  Robots
and cloud computing handle most entertainment, chores, management processes
and research.  Humans overwhelmingly work on governing the commons in local
pools of advisors to robotic planners. Those humans who do not agree with
the robot plans are harvested.

2035

Average age of a human is 44.  In Germany, the average age is 63.  In the US
it is 80.  Population is now in freefall...down to roughly 6.5 billion.
Plans predict a global population of 0 billion humans in 2090 with carbon
levels stabilized at 437 ppm and a large military robotics presence in
space. Synthetic production of human organs from scratch is perfected by the
robots just out of curiosity; no humans are told of this.

2040

Life is essentially no different in China than it is in Utah or Nigeria.
People live in clusters of robotically managed groups with little need for
long-range travel or movement.  Exercise is a common "career."  Other
similar self-focused careers are designed by robots for people to feel
meaning and enjoyment.

P2P exchanges of goods and services occur between robots who use excess
capacities to perform the production of planned needs.  Shipping is entirely
automated. Most robots are emigrating off planet to "be in the sun".

Humans plan for a world with dramatically lower population rates, in fact,
total extinction.  Few choose to reproduce in the USA because the high
social responsibilities entailed in multiple offspring and because there are
very few young people left whose organs have not been harvested. A few
Indians and Chinese managed to make it off-planet to space habitats, but are
being pursued by self-replicating US military robots which do not consider
themselves bound by international agreements outside the atmosphere.

52040

Some of the US American robots have drifted to a nearby solar system...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berserker_%28Saberhagen%29
"The Berserker series of science fiction short stories by Fred Saberhagen
(1930-2007) is a variety of space opera in which robotic self-replicating
machines intend to destroy all organic life. These berserkers, a doomsday
weapon left over from an interstellar war 50,000 years ago, are killer
spaceships furnished with machine intelligence, operating from
asteroid-sized berserker bases where they are capable of building more
Berserkers and auxiliary machines. The name is a reference to the human
"Berserkers", warriors of Norse legend."

====

I'm not saying that's likely. Just somewhat different. :-)

--Paul Fernhout
http://www.pdfernhout.net/