[p2p-research] Yacy search engine

Heath Matlock heathmatlock at gmail.com
Tue Nov 10 16:49:49 CET 2009

On Sat, Nov 7, 2009 at 12:49 AM, Paul D. Fernhout
<pdfernhout at kurtz-fernhout.com> wrote:
> Michel Bauwens wrote:
> But, one could imagine that the people who started Google had just published
> their idea, and further, that someway was found to adapt it, in a
> "Folding at Home" distributed computer way to use idle CPU cycles and a p2p
> meshwork. We might not need Google server farms at all to do fast searches.
> But, there is not much incentive for people to spend millions or billions
> developing that idea, even if it was better and more secure and more
> democratic, because, in a captilist society, where is the profit?

Speaking of p2p search engines, has anyone used Yacy?

http://yacy.net/

A friend and I had done some initial work on converting it to Python
(since we weren't fans of Java), but he got a job in Chicago and I
went onto school. Anyway, it's a nice piece of software, so check it
out if you get a chance.

--
Heath Matlock
+1 256 274 4225