[p2p-research] is open source design inferior

Ryan Lanham rlanham1963 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 9 17:16:50 CET 2009

On Mon, Nov 9, 2009 at 10:22 AM, Eugen Leitl <eugen at leitl.org> wrote:

> The problem is that FLOSS people and usability don't mix.
> At least the current culture doesn't seem to, it might mend
> eventually.
>
> Not holding my breath, though.

I think it was a separate thread where Michel and I were speculating on
why.  It may be that the work of being customer driven is unappealing and
therefore requires a market model to succeed.  FLOSS is fun for
programmers.  Fun isn't necessarily the path to useful.  I doubt games that
people make up would have the features wanted by gamers in the main.  I
doubt cars designed by care enthusiasts would have cup holders.  Profit
creates interesting incentives to be responsive.  Free has no such
incentives.

Ryan