[p2p-research] is open source design inferior

Samuel Rose samuel.rose at gmail.com
Mon Nov 9 17:10:44 CET 2009

On Mon, Nov 9, 2009 at 10:22 AM, Eugen Leitl <eugen at leitl.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 09, 2009 at 10:09:28AM -0500, Samuel Rose wrote:
>
>> I think this is definitely the case when comparing Debian to Ubuntu,
>> for instance. It usually does take a company-style structure and
>> intensive iterative labor over time to simplify user interfaces.
>
> Ubuntu is a tradeoff, though. It's getting prettier, but also
> more broken. In general Linux is the Windows of Unices, and
> Canonical is Linux' Microsoft.
>
>> Although, I don't think that it's a safe assumption that it is
>> *required* to have a capitalized company behind simple user interface
>> development.
>
> The problem is that FLOSS people and usability don't mix.
> At least the current culture doesn't seem to, it might mend
> eventually.
>
> Not holding my breath, though.

Well, those are reasonable criticisms for sure.

There are new people entering the realm of using FLOSS, and I think
some of these may provide a pathway towards what I am discussing. I
don't think they'll change anyone who isn't ready to be changed,
though, so you make a great set of points. :-D

Sam Rose
Social Synergy
Tel:+1(517) 639-1552
Cel: +1-(517)-974-6451