[p2p-research] Proposals - P2P Foundation Newsletter / Podcast / P2P TV

Kevin Flanagan kev.flanagan at gmail.com
Mon Nov 9 15:43:12 CET 2009

Hi Michael,

There are just a few design problems I have with the blog.
That could probably be solved quite easily with some technical adjustments.
Im only suggesting this because I think it might make things easier
and more engaging for readers.

First of all many posts on the blog are quite long. The amount of
content is fine thats not a problem but it does mean that as a reader
I need to do lots of scrolling down through the blog to get an idea of
whats been happening.
What I suggest is that posts on the main page appear with name and
initial summary of up to maybe 300 - 500 words then it could have a
link where you can click to continue reading the full post. This would
make the front page of the blog easier to navigate and read.

People using readers could subscribe to rss feeds for either summaries
or full articles.

Not all readers use rss readers or twitter and even if they do they
dont always check them. There are hundreads of tweets I miss. I do use
a reader but there are some sites I dont subscribe too because my
reader would be overloaded with content. For example The Guardian
website or BoingBoing.
Instead I check the sites myself in my own time. I know I miss stuff
and thats probably why I find the weekly blog summary on BoingBoing
useful for getting a quick idea of whats been posted there.

Also the blog archive on the left of the main page does not support
search by date, this would also be useful.

The reason I suggest a weekly summary for the blog and as an email
newsletter is that I think it would be useful for readers who dont
have time to all follow posts as and when they are posted
individually.
This might also just be a matter of some technical setup that could
run automatically, rather than a regular job for someone.
I took a quick look at wordpress plugins and came across one possible
solution maybe James or some of the tech heads on the list might know
of others.
http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/g-lock-double-opt-in-manager/

Nathan suggested I do a bit of manual DIY, Ive attached a sample email
newsletter , its fairly rough though.. Im not suggesting that posts to
the main blog page be as short as Ive put them in this sample
newsletter.

I also see there is a rss button saying subscribe to newsletter on the
right of the main page but when I click on it it brings me to a
contact page.

With regards a weekly review of whats been discussed on the research
list. I find it quite hard to keep up with the list as it is and
personally dont feel critically competent to engage constructively
with much of the discussions. So unfortunatelty its not something I
could do very well.

The video stuff I can do.

Best

Kevin F