[p2p-research] is open source design inferior

Samuel Rose samuel.rose at gmail.com
Mon Nov 9 14:41:58 CET 2009

On Mon, Nov 9, 2009 at 4:35 AM, Michel Bauwens <michelsub2004 at gmail.com> wrote:
> this article poses an important issue,
> http://factoryjoe.com/blog/2009/11/07/open-source-design-and-the-openofficemouse/
>
> that I would like to see discussed on our blog, by someone familiar with
> design dynamics in floss communities,
>
> my take is that this may be inherent in free software, because they don't
> care about the end-user, and therefore, separate commercial entities may
> still be needed,
>
> I see Ubuntu vs. Debian as proving that point,

I think the interfaces are a function of the users (sometimes
targetted people who will be using, sometimes those who are using are
are those who are making).

Many of the people who are programming Debian are also using it. They
are using the command line, complex key mappings, scripts that
automate many things, etc. I would venture to guess that many of them
would love to have a mouse like this. Since way back in early 1990's
most people running linux employed 3 button mice. Many gamers also
prefer lots of customizable control like this. I could also see some
graphic designing folks desiring a mouse like this

So, it's a matter of preference, I believe.

I can definitely understand why some people would see it as an
undesireable design. But, this does not mean that it *is* a "bad
design". It's only a bad design for people who are not resonant with
the functionality that is offered.

> Michel
>
> --
> Work: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dhurakij_Pundit_University - Research: