[p2p-research] Developing countries falling into 'broadband gap'

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Mon Nov 9 14:34:49 CET 2009

On Fri, Nov 06, 2009 at 03:15:40PM -0500, Paul D. Fernhout wrote:
> Part of the OLPC project was to create wireless meshes. The hardware for
> that was not entirely open though, as it uses commercial chips.
>   http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Mesh_Network_Details

Apparently, 802.11n (no longer draft, though there is
no real difference) has been recently used for DIY WAN links with
open source drivers on Linux, with very decent performance.
With a pair of aligned sat dishes, the line of sight is
the limit.

Speaking about the sky, no phased array fixed-geometry
antennas yet. These can be retargeted in ms, and can track
anything across the sky, multiple targets simultaneously,
provided you have the ephemerides. Notice you can wire
consumer 802.11x access points as a poor man's phased
array, which can be used to probe for people behind doors
and walls.

4G chips have also gotten very speedy now, to a cut-through LEO
constellation from few-kg microsats are within reach, even with
current 10 kUSD/kg launch costs. Even few simple maildrops
with few TByte SSD onboard would do very well. Since Cerf has
got DTN into Android http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/11/05/vint_cerf_on_mobile/
recently, I smell opportunities.

> And it still needs some kind of portal to the internet.

It's the Internet, and given how things develop the open
Internet is dead, so we'll see a transition to a distributed
cryptographic filestore, with addresses like
http://localhost:4711/9jXHUKWHxQ82JuWK8EJO0ouLaEwHBsX
which don't resolve to a particular location and
can't be censored.

There are a few unsolved problems still left, but in
general we've been making slow but steady progress since
Xanadu. See http://allmydata.org/~warner/pycon-tahoe.html
e.g.

> Some references to free software in relation to that:
>   http://www.mail-archive.com/devel@laptop.org/msg02695.html
>
> --Paul Fernhout
> http://www.pdfernhout.net/
>

> Michel Bauwens wrote:
> >Hi Ryan,
> >
> >possibly Sepp and the free network service people could answer this, so
> >I've
> >put them in cc,
> >
> >http://gigaom.com/2006/02/23/here-comes-open-source-telecom/

This is a job for a Layer 3 switch, not a router. Of course you can let
a random FreeBSD system handle this, but it's not cost effective in price.
Layer 3 switches are cheap, and the ASICs do both IPv4 and IPv6 in hardware.