[p2p-research] Limits of mathematical modelling (was Re: Building Alliances )

Smári McCarthy smari at anarchism.is
Mon Nov 9 11:49:31 CET 2009

[For some reason it seems like my messages to this list rarely make it
through... can somebody debug?]

Re the axiom of choice, it is still controversial and not commonly
assumed to be true, but the majority of mathematicians believe it to be
true. The difference here is that belief does not validate assumption,
and thus in any case where you make an assumption based on your belief
you must state that that is the case. So any (respectable) paper in
mathematical logic which assumes the axiom of choice will say so very
near the beginning. Axioms are exactly that: Unproven theorems that are
assumed to be true.

Assumption of a statement, regardless of it's truth value, can lead to
the successful proof of many other theorems, however, if the statement
that led to their proof is found to be false, the theorems themselves
may also be false.

The axiom of choice is equivalent to Zorn's lemma and the well-ordering
theorem, which state, respectively, that every poset in which each chain
has an upper bound contains at least one maximal element, and that any
set, given an ordering relation, has exactly one correct order.

Both of these statements, and many other equivalences of the axiom of
choice are very hard to refute, but still a bit controversial.

Anyway, it seems a bit silly to bring up the Axiom of choice in this
discussion. As an example to illustrate a point it's a bit obscure and a
lot irrelevant.

  - Smári