[p2p-research] Ubiquitous information technology fields

Ryan Lanham rlanham1963 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 9 01:43:34 CET 2009

Let us then say, even speculatively, that machines or monsters (hybrids)
could become agents and or principals.  Do we then allow them to play?  If
they can play, couldn't they govern?

It is certainly not controversial amongst deep environmentalists of various
sorts that animals have rights.  We would probably say animals lack a
certain intellectual capacity to govern.  But we can imagine a machine
gaining such capacity.  If they do, wouldn't they in fact be peers?

Ryan

On Sun, Nov 8, 2009 at 7:22 PM, Mamading Ceesay <mamading at gmail.com> wrote:

> 2009/11/8 Ryan <rlanham1963 at gmail.com>
> >
> > Could the commons be governed by AI? I think probably yes...
>
> I have toyed in the past with the idea of building a Nomic-based bot
> to help govern groups & organisations.
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nomic
> However, I really disagree with the idea of political AIs as the
> solution to the agency-principal problem in our political systems.
> The agency-principal problem is inherently endemic to representative
> democracy.  The only solution is to go beyond representative democracy
> to participatory democracy.  There are arguments to be had about which
> forms of participatory democracy are to be implemented, but lets at
> least start off from a more appropriate place.
> --
> Regards,
> Mamading Ceesay
>
> Twitter: http://twitter.com/evangineer