[p2p-research] Hermit Nation: Does Tech Boost Social Isolation?

Ryan Lanham rlanham1963 at gmail.com
Sun Nov 8 23:45:01 CET 2009

Twitter is emerging as the most extraordinary event of the modern corporate
information agee.  No one knows what it is...why it is, or how to monetize
it...yet it is the fastest growing phenomenon in the history of the
Internet.  Soon it will have lists in full force which will make
subscriptions categorical...it has been combined with Delicious, Facebook,
cell phones, etc. to awesome effect.

One could imagine this list being entirely on Twitter to good purpose (we
should try it as an experiment)...if you had more than 140
characters...point to what you wanted to say in a Porteous or similar
system.  It is the most fascinating commons yet built in my opinion.  Much
as I love Wikipedia...

I am not a big tweeter but have been on it since the early days.  To have
watched the full force of it is astonishing.  Whole governments are now
trying to figure out what to do with it.  Integration with cell phones makes
it profoundly powerful.

On Sun, Nov 8, 2009 at 5:29 PM, Mamading Ceesay <mamading at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Just responding to Paul D. Fernhout's post from Friday, the most
> insightful thing I've seen on the topic is John "Megatrends"
> Naisbitt's aphorism: High Tech, High Touch.
>
> My experience is that the more active I am on Facebook and Twitter,
> the more events I go to and the more people I meet.  Tech-induced
> social isolation is an oxymoron in the day of the tweetup!
>
> --
> Regards,
> Mamading Ceesay
>
> Twitter: http://twitter.com/evangineer