[p2p-research] is the mind a computer

Samuel Rose samuel.rose at gmail.com
Sun Nov 8 21:23:16 CET 2009

I have to say, J. Andrew Rogers, that a lot of this email is thinly
disguised personal attack. overall, it's also propagandastic, in that
it tries to lead you to a pre-established conclusion.

The question of whether the brain is a computer is ridiculous to the
extreme. The brain performs computation, and so it is a computer. Just
as a living leaf on a plant performs photosynthesis and so is a solar
energy catalyst, the same as photovoltaic cells.

However, unlike the machines made by humans that we call computers and
solar panels, living systems such as humans and trees are far more
than  computers and solar catalysts. Even the leaf itself is more than
just a solar catalyst. I would say that it is more dogmatic to insist
that humans are machines, when there are mountains of evidence to show
that humans are *radically* different than any machine you can name in
at least thousands of ways.

What more could possibly be said on this subject?

Sam Rose
Social Synergy
Tel:+1(517) 639-1552
Cel: +1-(517)-974-6451