[p2p-research] is the mind a computer

Ryan Lanham rlanham1963 at gmail.com
Sat Nov 7 22:43:32 CET 2009

On Sat, Nov 7, 2009 at 4:26 PM, Samuel Rose <samuel.rose at gmail.com> wrote:

> If the mind is a computer, then the heart is a pump with valves.
> Uhhh... nevermind...

Funny!  Dare I type it...LOL.

The metaphysical types get snarky when their fundamentals get
questioned...with good reason.  Our identities are tied to our fundamental
beliefs...and most people, I suspect even most people on this list, still
rely on metaphysics as their foundations...little different than someone in
1300 or 3300 B.C.

The machine metaphor for humans is now complete with the advent of the field
of synthetic biology--a major new field.  If I were young, I'd be headed in
that direction.  Biology is the computer science of the next 25 years...and
vice versa.

You've got a lot of fundamental stuff people need to cope with in these
times...not least of which is a human-centric model of metaphysics that's a
few thousand years old.  It is hard for the world to realize the stuff in
our heads is just sensemaking...I don't expect to live long enough to see
most humans abandon metaphysics.  It is the ultimate in feel good.

I've know strong catholic professors of organic chemistry at Virginia Tech.
Go figure.  People have an unbelievable ability to reconcile nonsense to
sense.  Science has a hard mission.