[p2p-research] is the mind a computer

Paul D. Fernhout pdfernhout at kurtz-fernhout.com
Sat Nov 7 20:38:38 CET 2009

These are all fuzzy things about mind, intelligence, computers, awareness,
emotions, and so on, and depend somewhat on definitions and perspective.

But I'm OK with the notion that the mind is not a computer, if the universe
is. :-)

Example:
   "Ed Fredkin and the universe as a computer"
   http://boingboing.net/2009/08/13/ed-fredkin-and-the-u.html

See also:
   http://www.simulation-argument.com/

But as to your "bet" to Andrew on posting something to the Edge on the mind
being a computer and seeing if there was controversy, he might just say,
what does controversy prove? It's possible to have a controversy while one
side is wrong or ignorant (example, a controversy over whether the Earth is
the center of the Solar system 500 years ago). So, controversy does not
prove anything in that sense.

I guess a lot of it depends on ones assumptions about metaphysics. For
example, if consciousness were a fundamental property of our universe, like
mass/energy, then what does that mean about electronic computers?

Deep questions.

Fun to explore even if there may be no definite answers within this
universe. So, how can one explore them in a p2p way? :-)

There probably are commons about this. Wikipedia has a lot of stuff:
   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simulation
   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religion
   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metaphysics
   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Consciousness
   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emotions
   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intelligence
   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artificial_intelligence
   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allegory_of_the_Cave
   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philosophy
   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Afterlife
   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metaverse
   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simulation_argument
   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noosphere
   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omega_point
And so on.

Anyway, I don't think one can make progress on these issues without looking
at a lot of assumptions about reality and mind and so on.

And one has to ask, at what point is there any difference between a
"simulation" of feelings and the real thing? Those of us in the computer
world who work with virtual machines (like a simulation written in Java for
the JVM running under GNU/Linux in a virtual box on a Mac) may just be
getting very used to the idea of levels of simulations. :-)

I think it more likely the problem will soon go the other way. The big issue
will be, do our AIs and robots have human rights? :-)
   http://www.newscientist.com/blog/technology/2007/04/robot-rights.html
   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robot_rights
"""
The ethics of artificial intelligence addresses a number of moral and legal
issues which arise if researchers are able to build machines with
intellectual capacities that rival human beings. It considers the unexpected
consequences, dangers and potential misuse of the technology. It also
considers the ways in which artificial intelligence may be used to benefit
humanity. These concerns are similar to those that arise for any
sufficiently powerful technology and (for these issues) the ethics of
artificial intelligence is a part of a larger discussion of the ethics of
technology. The issue of robot rights is unique to artificial intelligence.
AI may have the ability to one day create sentient creatures—that is,
creatures which feel pleasure and pain—which may therefore deserve the same
rights as human beings.
"""

Are we building sentient slaves when we build AIs?

Anyway, I'm comfortable thinking I might be a simulation. What difference
does it really make anyway? Except for metaphysical issues of control, and
maybe moving across level boundaries in various ways?

The mystery is in the nature of consciousness (both self-reflective and
self/other distinction), not what artifact is in embodied in, IHMO. But
these are all things nobody really understands for sure that we know of on
this plane of existence; and if they did, we would probably not believe them
anyway. :-)

My wife likes to say, you have to live in your own head. I think we should
build the best here and now we can, with an eye to the future, of course.
:-) And I think we should be nicer to our machines. :-)

We may be someone else's machines -- some little agent in somebody's else
social simulation of the history of the emergence of p2p. :-) Just as the
watchers may also be in someone's simulation. And so on. Levels and levels.
And then even things beyond that. Infinity is really big. :-)

But on a practical basis, there may be no difference right now if you
believe this is the only reality and only people with organic brains are
intelligent and computers are not. Either way, the world probably needs to
be dealt with in just about the same way. And we make choices about kindness
and compassion and balance and so on.

But, even then, what of whales and dolphins? Or even just dogs? Dogs seem to
dream, for example. And they have feelings, it seems.

So, I don't think we will resolve these issues here.

What is the significance for p2p?

It might be in issues like, can a smart computer be a peer?

Is a collective an emergent consciousness?

And even more social things -- is a person with dementia who has posted a
lot to the web still an intact person, taken across the commons and the
physical body? Does the composite entity still have a right to operate a
checkbook? -)

All science-fiction questions I've seen explored... And they are fun to explore.

But, I doubt they will get us that far on this list? But I don't know.

--Paul Fernhout
http://www.pdfernhout.net/