[p2p-research] Building Alliances (basic income and entrepreneurship)

J. Andrew Rogers reality.miner at gmail.com
Sat Nov 7 18:52:22 CET 2009

On Sat, Nov 7, 2009 at 9:38 AM, Michel Bauwens <michelsub2004 at gmail.com> wrote:
> The statement that the brain is just a computer, is highly controversial,
> even in science, but I'm not going to claim your ignorant of that, but you
> probably choose to simply ignore it.

Sorry, but it is only controversial to you, you just choose to ignore
the mountains of evidence.

There is no measure by which a brain does not have the precise
properties you would predict for a fairly conventional finite
computer.  If you have evidence to the contrary, please publish it.
You would be famous.

Why would we believe in something that is contrary to all evidence?
Even if it *was* incorrect, it would be a safe scientific claim
because there is no contrary evidence to date.

> Humans and groups are indeed predictable to a certain degree, more than
> people realize, but not absolutely and without limit.

Sure, and the mathematical properties of this fact are well understood.

> I would like to make a bet.
>
> You state on the Edge, that the brain is just a computer, and if you're
> right about the state of science, there should be absolutely no reaction on
> discussion on it, since it is an obvious truth.

Seriously, this isn't even an interesting topic.  It is settled
science except for people unfamiliar with or unwilling to give up
their magical thinking.  It is the same reason I don't engage in
arguments about creationism versus evolution, there is no margin in it
even among educated folk.

--
J. Andrew Rogers
realityminer.blogspot.com