[p2p-research] IMPORTANT, seven pathways to social power

Samuel Rose samuel.rose at gmail.com
Sat Nov 7 18:38:36 CET 2009

I was really into Spiraldynamics in the past, but I have long ago left it
out of my own communications (usually) because people were finding my
references to it too obscure.

Never the less, I agree that it seems to be really similar to what Clare W
Graves, and later Cowan and Beck, described below.

It seems to make sense (more now than when I first heard of the idea 10
years ago) if one person is empowered to take on multiple roles in a system,
they can potentially adaptively act alone, and/or connect with others as
appropriate. This is *especially* possible when their systems afford both
optimally working with others, *and* what works best for each individual.

Phoebe Moore mentioned to me in a comment on facebook the following:

"(...) we need to talk about what is required at the level of labour (lives)
and work (action) that are going into this paradigm and structure.
Superstructure doesn't disappear when you paradigm-ise (give power to,
through the dominance of ideas) the base."

The abone comment from Phoebe is relevant here, I think. I assume Phoebe is
talking about http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Base_and_superstructure_(Marxism)

I believe Phoebe is right that "Superstructure" doesn't disappear. Instead,
I  think that it transforms, and *combines* on different scales, in "p2p"
systems. "Many to many" systems provide a plurality of ways to connect for
each individual. They also provide a way for "inputs" in a system to be
transformed into "outputs", and for the same resource to act as
input/output.

I'd like to know more about what Phoebe is saying here. If you have time,
maybe you can jump into this, Phoebe?

Sam Rose
Social Synergy
Tel:+1(517) 639-1552