[p2p-research] IMPORTANT, seven pathways to social power

Samuel Rose samuel.rose at gmail.com
Sat Nov 7 17:55:37 CET 2009

On Fri, Nov 6, 2009 at 11:55 PM, Michel Bauwens <michelsub2004 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear friends in cc, I have a particular request for you to engage in
> discussion, and to describe the 8th way to social power, the p2p way, which
> may be missing from this list
>
> It concerns an excellent conceptual article on political strategies for
> emancipation, by Eric Olin Wright, see
> http://www.zcommunications.org/znet/viewArticle/22074

I will dig in deeper, but some initial thoughts

One thing that strikes me about "p2p" oriented "social power"  is that
while it makes potentially all power mechanisms available to the
individual, the individual tends to discover that there is a limit to
their individual expression. The individual discovers that there are
cases where expression is enhanced by working in
cooperation/coordination with others. "P2P" affords the individual the
flexibility to adaptively act as an individual, and with others with
little cost to the overall system. Social learning, memory/prediction,
self-selected coordination, and the empowerment of any individual to
connect existing networks, makes this possible.

"P2P" is the first system that can embed exponential potential for
adaptive expression in any given participant. (a metaphor is) that
genes can exponentially adaptively express based on their neighbors.

Sam Rose
Social Synergy
Tel:+1(517) 639-1552
Cel: +1-(517)-974-6451