[p2p-research] big does not necessarily innovate: (imaginary money)

Paul D. Fernhout pdfernhout at kurtz-fernhout.com
Sat Nov 7 16:51:19 CET 2009

Just goes to show the power of the imagination. :-) As long as everyone
agrees the emperor is wearing clothes, it is just like he is. :-) Even when
he isn't. :-)
   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Emperor%27s_New_Clothes

But sorry, you probably don't personally have the right technical equipment
to make imaginary transfers all seem legitimate. :-) And probably a good
thing as it would probably be illegal.
   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wire_transfer

Mythologically, "quantitative easing" is a nice sounding term for legally
printing money:
   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantitative_easing
"In practical terms, the central bank purchases financial assets (mostly
short-term), including government paper and corporate bonds, from financial
institutions (such as banks) using money it has created ex nihilo (out of
nothing). This process is called open market operations. The creation of
this new money is supposed to seed the increase in the overall money supply
through deposit multiplication by encouraging lending by these institutions
and reducing the cost of borrowing, thereby stimulating the economy.[1]
However, there is a risk that banks will still refuse to lend despite the
increase in their deposits, or that the policy will be too effective,
leading in a worst case scenario to hyperinflation.[1]"

Anyway, if banks can just magic money "ex nihilo", well, how real is it?

See also:
   http://www.moneyasdebt.net/

--Paul Fernhout
http://www.pdfernhout.net/