[p2p-research] Building Alliances (literature references)

Paul D. Fernhout pdfernhout at kurtz-fernhout.com
Sat Nov 7 16:44:03 CET 2009

Thanks for the current references.

This is from 1996, but may be of interest:
   "Growing Artificial Societies: Social Science From the Bottom Up" by
Joshua M. Epstein and Robert Axtell, Brookings Institution Press and MIT
Press 1996 c. 228pp.
   http://www.brookings.edu/press/Books/1996/artifsoc.aspx
"""
How do social structures and group behaviors arise from the interaction of
individuals? In this groundbreaking study, Joshua M. Epstein and Robert L.
Axtell approach this age-old question with cutting-edge computer simulation
techniques. Such fundamental collective behaviors as group formation,
cultural transmission, combat, and trade are seen to "emerge" from the
interaction of individual agents following simple local rules.
   In their computer model, Epstein and Axtell begin the development of a
"bottom up" social science. Their program, named Sugarscape, simulates the
behavior of artificial people (agents) located on a landscape of a
generalized resource (sugar). Agents are born onto the Sugarscape with a
vision, a metabolism, a speed, and other genetic attributes. Their movement
is governed by a simple local rule: "look around as far as you can; find the
spot with the most sugar; go there and eat the sugar." Every time an agent
moves, it burns sugar at an amount equal to its metabolic rate. Agents die
if and when they burn up all their sugar. A remarkable range of social
phenomena emerge. For example, when seasons are introduced, migration and
hibernation can be observed. Agents are accumulating sugar at all times, so
there is always a distribution of wealth.
"""

My wife did some related stuff in the 1980s (a simulation of foraging under
informational constraints, as part of her graduate work).

I had a related project about the simulation of chaordic processes that got
put on the back burner when we had a kid:
   http://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/simulchaord
Most of the links have rotted in the mailing lists there, but the few posts
might be of interest:
   http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/simulchaord-discuss/

One useful link from there that is still good:
   "Individual-Based Models: an annotated list of links"
   http://www.red3d.com/cwr/ibm.html

--Paul Fernhout
http://www.pdfernhout.net/