[p2p-research] Building Alliances

Stan Rhodes stanleyrhodes at gmail.com
Sat Nov 7 10:46:27 CET 2009

Paul,

Depending on how familiar you are with game theory, may I suggest Herbert
Gintis' newest work, The Bounds of Reason, which begins unifying the
behavioral sciences using game theory as part of the glue, with the book as
a sort of first Rosetta stone.  If you are not "up to snuff" on game theory,
I would suggest Gintis' Game Theory Evolving.  I would also suggest looking
at his faculty page, which contains a lot of free access papers.  Beware, I
have found some typos in The Bounds of Reason, but Gintis uses the Amazon
forums on his books for errata for his books, and sometimes supplementary
information.

Samuel Bowles is a frequent co-author of his, and co-authored the paper on
intergenerational wealth Ryan recently linked from Science Magazine.  He has
made a number of contributions worth perusing.

Colin Camerer is another prolific author intersecting the realms of
behavioral game theory and neuroeconomics.  His faculty page also contains a
lot of papers.

I have not brought any of this up because 1) I am working on being "up to
snuff" myself, so I could badly misrepresent it; and 2) it seemed too hard
science and math for conversations in the list.

I have little knowledge of complex adaptive systems yet either, although I
do have Miller and Page's Complex Adaptive Systems: An Introduction to
Computational Models of Social Life.  It's endorsed on the back by Kenneth
Arrow, Samuel Bowles, and Elinor Ostrom.

I'll leave you with that for now, and sleep.

-- Stan