[p2p-research] big does not necessarily innovate: the current VC model is broken

Paul D. Fernhout pdfernhout at kurtz-fernhout.com
Sat Nov 7 06:58:41 CET 2009

Ryan Lanham wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 6, 2009 at 8:40 PM, Paul D. Fernhout <
> pdfernhout at kurtz-fernhout.com> wrote:
>
>> J. Andrew Rogers wrote:

>>> Speaking for myself, the outcome I want is a maximized rate of
>>> innovation, with an eye toward capital efficiency since that is a
>>> finite resource. Beyond that, I am pretty agnostic about how that
>>> happens.
>>>
>> Innovation towards what end? To whose benefit? Who pays the costs? At what
>> risk? With what social vision in mind? And how are the benefits divided up
>> socially? Etc.?
>>
> Exactly right, Paul.  I think we are saying quite similar things...except
> you are adding your futurism to the answers...outcomes you desire and
> anticipate others will.  I don't necessarily disagree with those...but the
> point is the same on the what question?  What do you want?  Innovation is
> not an answer.

Yes, I agree. Well said.

Personally, I want a self-replicating space habitat that can duplicate
itself from sunlight and asteroidal ore, similar to the "Janus" one outlined
in "The Two Faces of Tomorrow" by James P. Hogan (minus the homicidal AI
that ran it :-). But, I'd settle for a basic income for everyone so we could
design one ourselves. :-) See also:
http://www.webscription.net/10.1125/Baen/0671878484/0671878484.htm
http://www.darkhorse.com/Books/13-662/The-Two-Faces-of-Tomorrow
"""
Midway through the Twenty-first century, an integrated global computer
network manages much of the world’s affairs. A proposed major software
upgrade—an artificial intelligence—will give the system an unprecedented
degree of independent decision-making power, but serious questions are
raised in regard to how much control can safely be given to a non-human
intelligence. In order to more fully assess the system, a new space-station
habitat—a world in miniature—is developed for deployment of the fully
operational system, named Spartacus. This mini-world can then be “attacked”
in a series of escalating tests to assess the system’s responses and
capabilities. If Spartacus gets out of hand, the system can be shut down and
the station destroyed . . . unless Spartacus decides to take matters into
its own hands and take the fight to Earth.
"""

Much of the last twenty five years or so of my life has been bumbling
towards that goal. :-) Example conference paper, where I propose designing
one using p2p methods, which was a little too far out for the Space Studies
Institute people back in 2001: :-)
"A Review of Licensing and Collaborative Development with Special Attention
to the Design of Self-Replicating Space Habitat Systems  "
http://www.kurtz-fernhout.com/oscomak/SSI_Fernhout2001_web.html
"The continued exponential growth of technological capacity since the 1970s
has removed most technical limits to group collaborations on space
settlement issues. To remove social limits, groups must be explicit about
the licensing terms of individual contributions and the collected work, for
example putting their contributions in the public domain, or under a license
like the BSD license or GPL as a conscious act. The most successful space
related collaborations in the future will be ones that make these principles
part of their daily operations. One result of such collaborations will be a
distributed library of simulations and knowledge including specific detailed
designs for self-replicating space habitat systems."

But, I'll never get around to that unless we save the world first. :-)

--Paul Fernhout
http://www.pdfernhout.net/