[p2p-research] big does not necessarily innovate: the current VC model is broken

Ryan Lanham rlanham1963 at gmail.com
Sat Nov 7 04:34:43 CET 2009

On Fri, Nov 6, 2009 at 8:40 PM, Paul D. Fernhout <
pdfernhout at kurtz-fernhout.com> wrote:

> J. Andrew Rogers wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Nov 6, 2009 at 3:31 PM, Ryan Lanham <rlanham1963 at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> What outcome do you or J. Andrew want?
>>>

>> Speaking for myself, the outcome I want is a maximized rate of
>> innovation, with an eye toward capital efficiency since that is a
>> finite resource. Beyond that, I am pretty agnostic about how that
>> happens.
>>

> Innovation towards what end? To whose benefit? Who pays the costs? At what
> risk? With what social vision in mind? And how are the benefits divided up
> socially? Etc.?

Exactly right, Paul.  I think we are saying quite similar things...except
you are adding your futurism to the answers...outcomes you desire and
anticipate others will.  I don't necessarily disagree with those...but the
point is the same on the what question?  What do you want?  Innovation is
not an answer.