[p2p-research] Building Alliances

Stan Rhodes stanleyrhodes at gmail.com
Fri Nov 6 23:54:18 CET 2009

I'm not singling Ryan out, I just happen to be replying to him.  Everyone is
throwing around terms and I'm not seeing much agreement on what they mean.
For example, do Ryan mean "Michel Bauwens P2P?"  What is "strong P2P
mentality?"  It is as if we are arguing about pornography with the implicit
assumption that we know pornography when we see it.  I'm not so sure we do!

If we are talking about morality, then we must go further and ask
fundamental questions about social justice.

Thus, evaluating social justice becomes a tool to judge whether taxes are a
root issue, or a symptom of social injustice.  Perhaps they are a red
herring.  Perhaps "markets" are a red herring.

Everyone can probably guess one of the core concepts, if not the core
concept, for determining the extent of social justice in a socioeconomic
system: equity.

I will branch, as a separate email, a brief summary of my perspective on
applying social justice and ethics to socioeconomic issues.

-- Stan