[p2p-research] Building Alliances

Ryan Lanham rlanham1963 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 6 18:53:17 CET 2009

Paul,

These income skews have become particularly hateful and egregious since
1990--Clinton and Bush admins.  I hadn't seen this, but there is little
doubt that the US system is highly broken and that rich ought to pay more
income.  I agree with that...I am a liberal Democrat...(and democrat) in US
terms.  My politics (and economics) would fall fairly close to a Robert
Reich/Paul Krugman in conventional terms.  On that list, that makes me about
6 standard deviations to the right of center.

But we are talking about burden...not justice.  Justice...that's a whole
different ballgame.   For me, the issue is whether there is P2P economics
and political philosophy.  I am still making up my mind about that while I
try to understand the futurism that gets thrown around here a lot more
thoughtfully here than on most other sites I follow.  I think the
singularity types are interesting but very tech focused.  The transhumanists
in general are comparable.  The social networking types (Cory Doctorow,
TechCrunch etc. are more famous but a step or two behind in my view.)

Best,

Ryan

On Fri, Nov 6, 2009 at 12:46 PM, Paul D. Fernhout <
pdfernhout at kurtz-fernhout.com> wrote:

> [...]
>>> that
>>> level.
>>>
>>> This may be falling into propaganda trap of thinking that only income
>>> taxes
>>> matter, however. Clearly the very rich only pay a negligible portion of
>>> their income in payroll taxes, while this is the major tax on the many
>>> making less than $100,000 (according to Figure 6a, that is more than 80%
>>> of
>>> us).
>>>
>>> If you look in Who Pays Taxes II<
>>> http://www.opednews.com/articles/Who-Pays-Taxes-II-by-PrMaine-081214-854.html
>>>
>>> you will see that in 2006, 10% of the income in the U.S. went to the tiny
>>> 0.025% of the population making $5 million or more, but this tiny
>>> minority
>>> paid only 8.9% of the combined income and payroll taxes, not even the 10%
>>> that is the very least that fairness would dictate they pay.
>>>
>>> It is worth note that while those with incomes in the $42,000 to $62,000
>>> range paid a greater tax rate than those making over $5 million, they
>>> still
>>> paid only roughly the same rate as the entire population of the U.S.
>>>
>>> If some groups pay less than average, other groups have to pay more than
>>> average taxes, and the charts in the second article make it clear that it
>>> is
>>> the people with incomes in the range from $2 million to $5 million who
>>> are
>>> making up for those who pay less.
>>>
>>> People making over $2 million a year are quite able to pay a bit more in
>>> taxes and I do not see them as in need of tax relief. However it is hard
>>> see why those making over $5 million should pay so much less, unless it
>>> is
>>> these people who have the best political connections and propagandists.
>>> In
>>> fact, many of them probably are politicians and propagandists.
>>>
>>> the excerpts:
>>>

>>> Few Americans realize just how incredibly little, historically speaking,
>>> our nation's wealthy now pay in taxes.
>>>
>>> In 1955, the year April 15 became the IRS tax-filing deadline, America's
>>> top 400 taxpayers paid three times more of their income in taxes than the
>>> top 400 of 2006, the most recent year with IRS data available.
>>>
>>> According to a new Tax Day report that we co-authored, if the top 400 of
>>> 2006 had paid taxes at 1955 rates, the federal treasury would have
>>> collected
>>> -- from these 400 taxpayers alone -- an additional $35.9 billion more in
>>> revenue in 2006.
>>>
>>> The 139,000 U.S. taxpayers who made over $2 million in 2006, our report
>>> also notes, averaged $5.9 million in income. They paid 23.2 percent of
>>> their
>>> total incomes in federal income tax. The comparable rate for equivalent
>>> high-income Americans in 1955: 49 percent.
>>>
>>> If the over-$2 million set in 2006 had paid taxes at the same rate as
>>> 1955 counterparts, the federal treasury would have collected $202

Ryan Lanham
rlanham1963 at gmail.com
Facebook: Ryan_Lanham
P.O. Box 633