[p2p-research] Building Alliances

Paul D. Fernhout pdfernhout at kurtz-fernhout.com
Fri Nov 6 18:29:33 CET 2009

Michel-

While I agree with your recommended practice, I disagree with the theory I
sense behind it. :-)

Taxes are often talked about in terms of incentives and disincentives, as
theory. Your comments buy into that premise. From there, endless economists
will create a flurry of fancy sounding mathematical statements to show why
the rich need more money.

If you look at taxes from a human rights perspective, as well as a way to
control for systemic risks resulting from concentration of wealth, then you
get to the same practical suggestion (tax the rich a lot on a progressive
scale) but for different theoretical reasons.

Basically, I'd suggest one focus more on the human rights aspect, as opposed
to the fairness aspect. Slavery was obviously unfair to the slaves, but
people who had paid for slaves thought it was fair to them to own the
property they had paid for. Slavery was in part defended based on human
rights (the human right to own private property -- slaves); it was only when
that paradigm changed that we saw the end of most of it (well, a shift to
wage slavery). The myths we weave around all this really matter a lot.

Just to outline the opposite neoconservative world view that I see
articulated in US politics and on US message boards, it seems to me it goes
something like this:
* Only a few people are specially gifted enough (genes, family culture,
willpower, talent, whatever) to run businesses that produce food and iPhones
and mortgage loans and media (and no one else can ever learn how to do this)
* Having capital, like from inheritances, has nothing to do with having this
natural talent, and capital, as well as elite educational opportunities,
will naturally flow to such gifted people unless obstructed by government
regulation and taxes and affirmative action and so on.
* Those few gifted people will sit around on their lazy asses unless vast
amounts of money are dangled in front of them to get them to take risks with
other people's money.
* If that happens, that the few gifted people don't build businesses, the
rest of us incompetent losers will starve to death or at least not get
iPhones, which is probably worse.
* Thus, most of the money in society has to go to these few entrepreneurs
and money managers to save the rest of us from ourselves; most of the
current problems in society are thus because rich people are too poor.
* Any sort of taxation and regulation interferes with this natural process,
and creates dysfunction and disaster; the current banking crisis is mainly
the product of excessive government regulation and taxation causing banks to
give loans to people who did not deserve them and thus hurting us all.
* Thus, by that systems of arguments, what you are proposing is total
madness that will destroy the engine of global prosperity, the USA. You must
be suggesting this because you hate everyone in the USA because of our
success, so why should we listen to someone who hates us so?

At least, that's basically the dominant ideology in the USA, stripped of
some fancier ways of saying all that.
   "The Mythology of Wealth"
   http://www.conceptualguerilla.com/?q=node/402
"Justifications for elites and social hierarchy goes all the way back to the
pharaohs. For 6000 years, society has organized itself into social classes.
The people who do the work are always in the lower classes. The harder and
nastier the work, the lower down in the social order you sink. The people
who don’t do this work must justify their position. They do it by
establishing their “worthiness”, and a variety of cultural devices have been
concocted over the millennia to accomplish this. The pharaohs, you may
recall, weren’t people at all. They were gods. Roman emperors likewise had
themselves deified, and before that Roman Senators justified their position
as “patricians”. Basically, “my great great granddaddy was a big shot,
therefore I should be too.”"

Anyway, I don't think you are going to get far arguing against that
mythology by accepting the fundamental premise about very narrow
self-interest (greed) being the main important motivating factor.

This may be a case where I, the US American, can point to an assumption that
you, a European, may have in error about the USA. In short, you are too
kind. :-) It may not occur to you that people could really believe something
like that. But they can. I have a lot of neighbors who believe essentially
that. But that was the "Joe the Plumber" argument in the US elections, and
Obama got trashed for rebutting when he said: "... right now everybody’s so
pinched that business is bad for everybody and I think when you spread the
wealth around, it’s good for everybody".
   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_the_Plumber
Joe's point wasn't about "Joe" being a plumber. It was about "Joe"
purchasing a plumbing-related business so he could make money off of
plumbers. But, the ideology suggests, without "hard working" Joe, all those
other plumbers would not have jobs. Thus, sinks would remain clogged,
homeowners would die of dysentery, and all the plumbers would starve, all
because Joe was not given enough incentive to organize all this.

Anyway, I think you are giving US Americans too much credit for sensible
mythology. :-) The depth of the mythological evil is much greater than you
might assume, your being (presumably) raised in Western Europe.

It's been said the reason why the Aztecs ripped the beating hearts out of
young people on top of temples was because the believed in an angry god who
would not let the sun come up tomorrow if they did not do that. That was
such a dangerous risk to take, there was no reasonable way to test the
alternative of not killing people.

The same thing is true about US capitalism. Here is an example:
"Part One: Rep. Alan Grayson on the Number of Dead from Lack of Health Care"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfNVWINLfKs&feature=channel

And the reason poor people support this is that they have been taught to
believe it too, because someday they may get to the top of the heap in their
dreams:
   "The Wrath of the Millionaire Wannabe's"
   http://www.conceptualguerilla.com/?q=node/47

See, if all those people were not sacrificed on the altar of free market
capitalism every day, about one hundred people a year per congressperson,
then the economic sun would not come up tomorrow. And that is such a scary
thought that no change can be tried. That's what it comes down to
mythologically speaking. It sounds like nonsense when it is laid out simply,
but so do many cults.

Also, it may sound nonsensical to discount the example of Western Europe in
general being a happier place than the USA,

http://www.workersoftheworldrelax.org/
http://web.archive.org/web/20080119001830/http://www.adbusters.org/the_magazine/71/Generation_Fcked_How_Britain_is_Eating_Its_Young.html

but that is easily explained by noting that Europeans are a bunch of wimpy
parasites who are depending on the tough sacrifices US Americans are making
to keep the economic sun coming up every day, even at a cost of tens of
thousands of US American lives every year. See, that's more indication of
how callous someone like you is, to not appreciate that level of sacrifice
for your own benefit. Basically, so the conservative line goes, if the US
had not kicked Hitler's butt, and Saddam's butt, and Stalin's butt, you'd
over there in French-land and surrounds would all be speaking some
combination of Germano-Rusko-Farsi right now, with your women wearing
leder-burkas singing about tractors, and you'd be stopping your work five
times a day to think about your pitiful relationship with God/Communism on
some worn out prayer mat in some rundown hovel. Or worse, you'd have to do
that standing on your head:
   "Life at Russian Village"
   http://englishrussia.com/?p=1915

:-)

So, your figures, while logical, don't get at the mythological heart of the
matter. :-)

That's what we need the arts for. :-)

--Paul Fernhout
http://www.pdfernhout.net/