[p2p-research] Building Alliances

Phoebe pvm.doc at gmail.com
Fri Nov 6 17:54:00 CET 2009

Hi!!

'Presenting a Case for Guaranteed Income and its Advantages'

Lynn Chancer has asked the question--one that has been on people's minds not
least since the Speenhamland Law: why guarantee income? 'Are the benefits of
this notion only that it is redolent of a broader concept of entitlement, or
are there reasons to advocate this particular policy over full employment or
other strategies focussed on jobs'?

The case for a guaranteed income falls into four categories of advantage:
practical
moral/ethical
political
psychic/libidinal

Cosma Orsi presents his ideas on the Partner State and basic income (not
only here but this is one paper):

http://www.ruc.dk/upload/application/pdf/f51d6748/Research%20report%204_2005%20Cosma%20Orsi.pdf

Also see Robert Theobald, The Guaranteed Income (Doubleday & Co. 1966)
including Erich Fromm's 'The Psychological Aspects of the Guaranteed Income'
in this text; Stanley Aronowitz and Jonathan Cutler, Post-Work (Routledge
1998)...

In terms of cultural spaces and social improvement, see Joshua Cohen and
Joel Rogers, What's Wrong with a Free Lunch? (Beacon Press, 2001) and Steve
Shafarman, Healing Politics: Citizen Policies and the Pursuit of
Happiness (Xlibris,
2000).

Yours, Phoebe

2009/11/6 Michel Bauwens <michelsub2004 at gmail.com>

> HI Kevin,
>
> I absolutely agree that you have the right intuition here, and that this is
> a very fruitful way to argue for partner state models regarding 'free
> cultural spaces'.
>
> Perhaps phoebe has encountered such arguments in her labour research?
>
> Michel
>
> On Fri, Nov 6, 2009 at 6:28 PM, Kevin Flanagan <kev.flanagan at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> Hey Paul,
>>
>> State support for the arts is common in europe.
>> Im most familiar with the Irish and UK Arts Councils.
>> Im not advocating further state support for 'artists'.
>> Im interested in putting together an strong argument for state support
>> for free culture and hacker spaces.
>> Using already in place institutions and infrastructure such as arts
>> councils.
>> I support the idea of a basic income for all.
>> But Im suggesting what I see as a practical and achievable short term
>> goal.
>> If we could specifically get these institutions to recognise the
>> social value and put in policy the importance of commons oriented
>> production for free culture and hacker spaces then maybe in time we
>> can get the state to recognize the value and importance of commons
>> based production on a broader scale.
>> Lets get these arts councils to expand their remit to support
>> specifically free culture and hacker spaces.
>> Surely we can show how the skills developed in hack labs are useful
>> and transferable and worth state economic investment. Hacker spaces in
>> in disadvantaged communities could be a great outlet for young people.
>> I dont have time to look up a good links at the moment because I have to
>> go now.
>> For example it would be nice to see some research on how Brazil has
>> got on with its effort in supporting acces to digital technology.
>> Brazilian minister for digital culture Gilberto Gill supporting the
>> creation of 650 cultural spaces giving citizens access to computers
>> cameras to share music and culture.
>> http://news.cnet.com/8301-10784_3-9786370-7.html
>>
>> Ok Im off for now.
>>
>> Kevin F
>>

>> On Thu, Nov 5, 2009 at 6:07 PM, Paul D. Fernhout
>> <pdfernhout at kurtz-fernhout.com> wrote:
>>  > Kevin-
>> >
>> > As I see it, more support for the arts is a good idea, but a
>> half-measure.
>> > As you say at the end, we could look at expanding it to all sorts of
>> commons
>> > production, but it is hard to judge what is "worthy". A "basic income"
>> for
>> > all is probably a better general solution than trying to decide what
>> > projects a person wants to do are worthy of support. References:
>> >  http://www.basicincome.org/bien/aboutbasicincome.html
>> >  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basic_income
>> >  http://www.usbig.net/whatisbig.html
>> >
>> > A basic income just for "artists" is possible:
> [...]

Employment profile: http://www.espach.salford.ac.uk/page/Phoebe_Moore

JCEPS--my recent article: UK Education, Employability and Everyday Life
http://www.jceps.com/index.php?pageID=article&articleID=151

Media Ecologies workshop, Nov 2009, Manchester
http://www.espach.salford.ac.uk/sssi/p2p/index.html

Manchester Film Cooperative: http://www.manchesterfilm.coop/