[p2p-research] Building Alliances

Paul D. Fernhout pdfernhout at kurtz-fernhout.com
Fri Nov 6 16:43:33 CET 2009

Ryan-

See my other longer note:
http://listcultures.org/pipermail/p2presearch_listcultures.org/2009-November/005604.html

But essentially, we have a commons we all depend on, the land, the
biosphere, the sun, and our culture. I believe we all have a human right to
draw from that. Right now, we have to deal with a fiat-dollar ration-unit
based Kanban-token style social system that dominates access to that
physical and cultural commons. People can both try to work around that as
well as engage it, and still have moral principles, even as they end up
making unfortunate compromises now and then, and some people get sucked into
those compromises.

So, there's truth to what you say, but, if you view money as a tool, maybe
morally the idea of taxation to fund P2P is not that different than grabbing
a handy shovel lying around to help put out a fire. :-)

Because "War is a Racket" (meaning profitable to some despite the risk to us
all):
   http://www.lexrex.com/enlightened/articles/warisaracket.htm
in a purely capitalistic and profit-oriented framework, we are all
eventually doomed by the fire of war if we don't do something, same as the
banking system failed:
   "Greenspan Destroys Deregulation in 16 Seconds"
   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAH-o7oEiyY&feature=related

Personally, as a parent, I could not watch more than the first minute of this:
"The Final Minutes: What A Nuclear War Would Look Like"

So, I say, (legally) grab those shovels and let's start digging ourselves
out of this hole we're in. :-)

Oops, wrong metaphor? :-)

Which actually is your point -- when you are in a hole, maybe the first
thing you should do is stop digging? :-)

So, I'm sure there is truth to both what you say and the opposite. :-)

--Paul Fernhout
http://www.pdfernhout.net/
http://www.beyondajoblessrecovery.org/