[p2p-research] P2PTV

smari at anarchism.is smari at anarchism.is
Fri Nov 6 16:18:10 CET 2009

Hi Athina, Voula, all!

  Perhaps you'd be interested in launching a P2P Research Cluster?

  The idea is to form research clusters at universities all over the place
to study participatory models, crowdsourcing, distributed algorithms,
peer-to-peer culture, viable business models and anything else that relates
to the emergent ecology of the global brain.

  Modern life has many trends and concepts such as free software, the
Pirate Bay, open access, Creative Commons, censorship, 3D printing, crowd
wisdom, online activism, digital fabrication, blogs, microblogging, social
networking, direct democracy, and so on. Those who have studied any of
these cannot help but come across the others in turn. Yet currently this
world of collaborative communities remains relatively unmapped and the
world of complexity behind it has only been gazed at through the tunnel
vision of the failing industrial, economical and social models that have
been used for the past two hundred years.

  This is by nature a very inter-disciplinary concept and here at the
University of Iceland I've invited people from all faculties to join in and
have made ads that I'll be hanging up on Monday. The official cluster
launch is on Thursday next week.

  It would be great goal to launch similar clusters at at least five
universities in the next ten days: Fully reasonable and possible, given the
caliber and variety of people already involved in the P2P research. Think
of this as outreach.

  Can we compile a list of suggested reading for people wanting to get
into research in this field, preferably with links to PDFs?

 - Smári