[p2p-research] Building Alliances

Kevin Flanagan kev.flanagan at gmail.com
Fri Nov 6 12:28:38 CET 2009

Hey Paul,

State support for the arts is common in europe.
Im most familiar with the Irish and UK Arts Councils.
Im not advocating further state support for 'artists'.
Im interested in putting together an strong argument for state support
for free culture and hacker spaces.
Using already in place institutions and infrastructure such as arts councils.
I support the idea of a basic income for all.
But Im suggesting what I see as a practical and achievable short term goal.
If we could specifically get these institutions to recognise the
social value and put in policy the importance of commons oriented
production for free culture and hacker spaces then maybe in time we
can get the state to recognize the value and importance of commons
based production on a broader scale.
Lets get these arts councils to expand their remit to support
specifically free culture and hacker spaces.
Surely we can show how the skills developed in hack labs are useful
and transferable and worth state economic investment. Hacker spaces in
in disadvantaged communities could be a great outlet for young people.
I dont have time to look up a good links at the moment because I have to go now.
For example it would be nice to see some research on how Brazil has
got on with its effort in supporting acces to digital technology.
Brazilian minister for digital culture Gilberto Gill supporting the
creation of 650 cultural spaces giving citizens access to computers
cameras to share music and culture.
http://news.cnet.com/8301-10784_3-9786370-7.html

Ok Im off for now.

Kevin F